ALL THINGS MUST PASS 50TH- WHATS NEW?

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
mikec

Re: ALL THINGS MUST PASS 50TH- WHATS NEW?

Post by mikec »

georgefromhenley wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:29 pm Were you able to use the info from the Uber boxset booklet?

The biggest mistake in the set is the ommission of I live for you as studio track. One of the best songs of the session.
Sadly I still don't have the Uber or the book that comes exclusively in there, so if a kind soul send me a PDF I won't mind lol. I've seen some of the pages on a few Youtube unboxing videos or read in comments is that not all the sessions info was included; my info was taken from an internal paper that came about two months ago directly from the makers but only helped me with some details about who plays what and few recording session dates, the rest is mine. Kind regards
mikec

Post by mikec »

micktanner wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:45 pm Certainly was hoping for your review of 'whats new' and am so glad to come home and see that you didn't disappoint...thank you very much, Mike! Cheers to you, my friend
oh, thank you very much for your kind words. Regards
mikec

Post by mikec »

JoeWadley wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:47 pm Great stuff, Mike. Many thanks.
Thank you very much!
mikec

Post by mikec »

skynet wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:21 am Mike

As i said on your review of the POB Release, always a pleasure to read your analysis :)
Thank you VERY much!!
mikec

Post by mikec »

jspaceman wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:19 am Mike, another very informative analysis. Thank you for posting.
thank you very much for your comment!
mikec

Post by mikec »

CharlesHawtrey wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:14 am
mikec wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:46 pm GEORGE HARRISON: ALL THINGS MUST PASS 50TH- AUDIO DELUXE EDITION. WHAT’S NEW?
By Mike Carrera.
Awaiting On You All (Demo Take 1)
Already officially available in 'Early Takes Vol. 1' with a longer duration at the beginning (nine seconds), including studio talk and the announcement of the take, as well as the end (four additional seconds) where it is possible to hear Ringo and George talking and laughing. Early Takes 2:39 vs 2021 Mix 2:26

My Sweet Lord (Demo Take 1) PARTIALLY NEW
This demo had been officially released on 'Early Takes Vol. 1' at a slightly different speed; and although it includes additional dialogue at the beginning that has been eliminated in the 2021 mix, it is not possible to hear the end as there is a fade out, contrary to the new mix that does include it. To have the complete demo it is necessary to use both sources. Early Takes: 3:31 vs 2021 Mix: 3:18
Note that:
- In Early Takes Vol. 1, Awaiting On You All is slightly edited here and there in order to remove some slight mistakes, so the 50th Anniversary mix is more truthful tho it's missing some studio talk at the beginning;
- In Early Takes Vol. 1, the ending of My Sweet Lord was also re-edited to make a loop and fades out, while the 50th Anniversary mix is the full length take unedited.

Also, George's cough in Window Window Day 2 Demo (*cough* "She looked after me...") was masterfully removed. Incredibly well done, but not historically truthful.
THANK YOU very much for this additional info!! I was not going to post anything as I was little down cause my aunt died and I have an eye infection so I was listening this box early July and in my head I was planning on doing something deeper and bigger but in the end, life happens... I simply did a new and small one in one day before upcoming releases are announced: Ringo's new album and after that.. LIB 50th, so it was "now or never".
mikec

Post by mikec »

maul wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:19 am Thousand thanks Mike 🙏🙏🙏 , great and impeccable job, as always 8-)

Just yesterday I began to 'examine' ATMP 50 and I was wondering "where is Mike Carrera review? I’m not really gonna have to go through this all by myself?" :D
you not only saved the day, but you also saved me at least two days of work 😩 and moreover with a precision in details and references I could never reach

Thanks again 👍👍👍
nahhh, please post your analysis my friend, PLEASE!! Thank you for your kind words.
mikec

Post by mikec »

billylentz wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:31 am That´s a very usueful reference! Thank you!
Thank you very much!!
mikec

Post by mikec »

Kwai Chang wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:21 pm @mikec...
Have no fear, Mike!
Your work requires a discipline that cannot be found in just anybody.
I don't think my own attention span could endure this huge serving of anything. So, for me...
Beautiful job you've done
AND
Thank you!
Thank you very much!
mikec

Post by mikec »

wardo wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 pm Great info as usual, Mike. I commented on the Daily Beatle page, asking for take numbers of the album tracks not represented on the jams disc. Also, while I'm at it...

-- "What Is Life" on the "day 1 demos" disc surely has more than Klaus and Ringo playing; is this actually an early take from later in the sessions?
-- Dhani said on BBC radio that Nicky Hopkins is playing on "Isn't It A Pity" v2. Peter Frampton said in another interview that Nicky was at the sessions, but by most accounts Nicky was in California for most of 1970. Besides, the piano on that track doesn't sound like his usual approach. Thoughts?
Oh great! thank you for the feedback there! I think I have all the take numbers for the rest of the tracks (that were not included on disk 5-sessions and jams), but I did just a simple review based only on the stuff contained on those three disk to avoid the review was too long and maybe bored, and I think some of that info is also on the Uber box set (not on the book that comes with the regular Deluxe).

Regarding 'What is Life' Day 1 Demos, what we can hear is the bed for "Demo Take 2" (it seems Demo Take 1 was not complete) BUT, George did two overdubs onto that demo: vocal and piano, plus Klaus added guitar and that became "Demo Take 3", still a demo, not a proper session. The overdubs were noted on the tape box for that demo.
So, overdubs were done on a few demos it seems.

Regarding the players, they (Harrison Estate) have accepted that it's kind of difficult now to track down who really plays what and on which song, that's a shame.