Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Discuss official releases and re-issues. The only links allowed here are to the Beatles YouTube channel or other band-sanctioned platforms.
Wogew

Re: Get Back: Part 3 (Rooftop!) - thoughts and reviews

Post by Wogew »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:38 am There is a silver lining to it I suppose. The different angles were all presented in uncropped 4:3, which makes it possible to recut the entire concert in 4:3 without any of the coppers or passers by.

Those cops are pretty young. hard to believe they wouldn't be fans themselves, but are caught between a rock and a hard place. Probably why they were so softly softly. That and the cameras.
One of them, Ray Shylar was interviewed by the Daily Mail in conjunction with the Get Back series. Shylar was 25 at the time of the rooftop concert. He said Apple had sent him discs (presumably DVDs) of the series, but he hadn't got around to watching them yet.
I wouldn’t say I was a fan – I didn’t like The Beatles much when they went a bit Hare Krishna, but we had a few Beatles records and LPs at home; I liked their music. But when I got on the roof, I had a job to do and I thought, “Well, we’ve got to try and stop this.”
hxxps://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1020 ... -tale.html
afabman

Post by afabman »

Fun 4 None wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:32 am
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:26 am Have to say I was utterly bummed by the rooftop presentation. I was hoping for a complete uninterrupted video, and instead it was all over the place with talking and echo coming in and out. The presentation of the final day was even worse.

10/10 for eps 1 & 2 & first part of 3

1 out of 10 for the last 50 minutes. :x
I enjoyed the Rooftop segment a lot personally speaking, but yeah I wish Peter actually documented Jan 31st instead of the clip show. I also would've liked an outro about the band, but that might've left things on a sour note.
I get why there would be disappointment with the rooftop segment, but I loved the fact that it placed it all in context. I thought it caught the time perfectly. I do, however, hope that it will be released is a 'full' form at some point. But I'm giving all episodes 10/10.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Hi All
Listened to the Peter Jackson interview on SiriusFM radio
He made an interesting comment on how many songs were to be done on the rooftop according to him only 5 were to be played.
The rest would have been to difficult to be done ie: Two of us, Across the Universe, Let it be.
So thats why the rooftop concert seems short even with the cops showing up.

Would have liked to see more of the last day . But overall have to see the whole series again for the parts I missed.

Regards
Greg
bri286

Post by bri286 »

I agree that the final day was very poorly represented. This was the day when the band perfected various key songs (as well as some goofing around), and for once, were - while trying for the perfect take - also deliberately performing into the cameras (which look to have been set up with some forethought for each song) rather than in spite of them, as if they had come full circle from the first day of filming.

In this way, the crew effectively created live video takes of Let It Be, Two Of Us and L&WR, all of which would have benefitted hugely from being presented as complete performances in the same way as the rooftop songs, given that the picture quality was so much better than in the original film. These are not rehearsals but polished performances, and so they deserved their own "day" rather than being shown in pieces over the credits.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

I found Part 3 hard going at the start but found the concert was better than I had expected. So great to their joy on stage and the general excitement of the crowd. I thought it was a nice way to round off and end the series.