Geoff Emerick stolen 6/6/1962 tape coming to an end

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Doug

Re: Geoff Emerick stolen 6/6/1962 tape coming to an end

Post by Doug »

Lord Reith wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 2:00 am We all know what the outcome will be. There is no question that the tape is EMI property and the notion that it somehow isn't because they didn't want it anymore is nuts. It'll go back to Abbey Road and into their vault, and maybe one day we'll hear a twenty second extract in a 2 hour BBC special. :lol:
... with talking over it. :(
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

At least it'll go into the archive though, even if it's never heard. It was a crucial missing part of the story and I am glad that it has come to light. I suspect that the contents might be somewhat embarassing for Pete Best, although that may give Ringo a good old laugh. I can imagine this tape being played once a year at Abbey Road Christmas parties. :lol:
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Bazilnerk

Post by Bazilnerk »

Albert Grove wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:02 am How should we perceive EMI today regarding ownership of the tape? Would that be Universal, or Apple?
And would the physical tape archive still be at Abbey Road Studios since their relation with EMI is a thing of the past? Who would pay for the storage cost?
Universal would own the tape and the copyright (outside the UK/Europe/Canada and a few other places where it is now PD) via their Beatles arm Calderstone. Apple has rights over what is released as representatives of the artists, but hold no rights to any of the Beatles EMI recordings which all belong to Universal since the collapse of EMI in 2012. The Beatles vault in Abbey Road is where it would be held as the studios and the old EMI archive at Hayes belong to Universal (although the rights to the majority of EMI material outside the Beatles belongs to Warner)
dk2600

Post by dk2600 »

The origin of Calderstone can be found here at Companies House in England.

November 15, 2012 Beatles Holdco Limited as the name states a holding company of some Beatles related. Universal is the owner of the company. https://find-and-update.company-informa ... ory?page=2

November 29, 2012 Change of company name to Calderstone Productions Limited, same link

June 12 2014 Full accounts made up to 31 December 2013, same link

You'll notice at 8. INTANGIBLE FIXED ASSETS The additions in the period relate to the acquisition of contracted rights in respect of the Beatles, contracts involving individuals who were part of the Beatles and other Apple Corps label artists.

The catalogue is amortised over 15 years on a straight line basis.

The contract will end 31. december 2027.

There's a lof of Beatles related companies at the Companies House. Give it a try and of course for other british bands as well as Yoko's private appartment in London. You can follow all the name changes of the companies and their owners and holdings like Apple Corps had their money going to Switzerland.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Ah, they make everything white like snow in Switzerland ...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Bazilnerk wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 11:21 am
Albert Grove wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:02 am How should we perceive EMI today regarding ownership of the tape? Would that be Universal, or Apple?
And would the physical tape archive still be at Abbey Road Studios since their relation with EMI is a thing of the past? Who would pay for the storage cost?
Universal would own the tape and the copyright (outside the UK/Europe/Canada and a few other places where it is now PD) via their Beatles arm Calderstone. Apple has rights over what is released as representatives of the artists, but hold no rights to any of the Beatles EMI recordings which all belong to Universal since the collapse of EMI in 2012. The Beatles vault in Abbey Road is where it would be held as the studios and the old EMI archive at Hayes belong to Universal (although the rights to the majority of EMI material outside the Beatles belongs to Warner)
These relatives of Emerick kind of went at it arse uppits. They should never have stated they owned the original. If they'd only said they had a copy then it could have been a legit PD release in Europe.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Choking Smoker

Post by Choking Smoker »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:42 am
These relatives of Emerick kind of went at it arse uppits. They should never have stated they owned the original. If they'd only said they had a copy then it could have been a legit PD release in Europe.
I reckon that they would have challenged that anyway by claiming that the recording belonged to them and in the absence of the master tape (according to that scenario) the 'copy' was therefore the de-facto master. Might have failed though but I suspect that it would have worked.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

dk2600 wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 6:13 am The contract will end 31. december 2027.
There's a lof of Beatles related companies at the Companies House. Give it a try and of course for other british bands as well as Yoko's private appartment in London. You can follow all the name changes of the companies and their owners and holdings like Apple Corps had their money going to Switzerland.
Good God! The Royal fuse has just blown!
"*hair dryer, I'll bet. SHE had one for Christmas!"<-----(*High Speed Currency Counting Machine)
ALLderstone?
FALLderstone?
DOWNerstone?
ROLLINGstone?
BEATLEStone?
WONDERstone?
UNDERstone?
FUNderstone?
NONEderstone?
What's in a monicker?
Like BEATles with an A
Like a MEETthem with an E
Like Like FOREVER never die
but, ENOUGH to make you cry!
Where do you think this will lead?
And, THAT's never gonna change!
(BACK to The Beatles)
KC

and that's enough for me...
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:42 am
Is it too late to make a copy ? :)
dascottjr

Post by dascottjr »

At this rate, I don't ever want to hear about a rare Beatle tape being found via a major news outlet ever again. Every time there's that much news about a tape, they might as well be waving delicious pizza in front of my face and running away before I get a slice. If I'm not going to hear it in my lifetime, then stop making me care about it.