New Abbey Road pic?

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
MP3J

New Abbey Road pic?

Post by MP3J »

Supposedly a test pic taken before The Beatles arrived.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1683533617852.jpg
FB_IMG_1683533617852.jpg (98.4 KiB) Viewed 962 times
Mr Bump

Re: New Abbey Road pic?

Post by Mr Bump »

Amazing.

This will be from the session the weekend before the final shoot, when Iain MacMillan was doing test photography. We can tell this by the below, taken same day - the car on the right is the same. This was taken on the Sunday before the Beatles shoot, so 3 August 1969 (colorised by myself):

MP3J

Post by MP3J »

i agree....that Volvo(?) is in the same place, the scooter has moved on though
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

I think it's funny that almost any fake Abbey Road 'alternate photo' always looks distorted or blurred at head spots where Ringo and John were or the Volkswagon looks out of place or forced in angle. .
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

This is a picture of the earlier session. Note that the Volkswagen Beetle is absent here. :shock:
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

I don't think that last photo is from the same time as the others. The VW was there from the first test shot to final photo - this must have been taken later, surely?
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Image Image
The front cover shot is credited to Iain Macmillan, although whose handiwork added the superimposed 'Beatles' bodies and shadows is unknown to me.
The bodies and attire of New York City's do resemble those of the Beatles, however, they are of a better resolution than those on Abbey Road. So Macmillan may have taken the a shot of the empty crosswalk, knowing it would be in demand one day. Considering the number of parody photos that have been taken at the location, it seems like the task could prove extremely dangerous. I can imagine that Americans never look to the right before stepping into the path of Grove's End Road commuters as they transition onto Abbey Road...and through the crosswalk. Have there been any safety precautions implemented for such reasons? Any help is appreciated.
KC
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

The Soulful Road cover photo was taken at the same time, like you say, a shot of the empty crossing. I took a detailed look at the vehicles to establish that - they match but not exactly, to the other photos. The shadows on the road are longer than on the cover of Abbey Road, however, so with the sun to the west (left of image), it was later in the day.

This was confirmed in the book which came with the Abbey Road Super Deluxe box set.
BDJ

Post by BDJ »

Mr Bump wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:43 pm I don't think that last photo is from the same time as the others. The VW was there from the first test shot to final photo - this must have been taken later, surely?
The picture is in the Abbey Road 50th Anniversary Book. No date given. The weather seems more rainy than on SAugust 8, so it is probably another day- earlier or later?