New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Lord Reith

Re: (MERGED TOPICS) New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Lord Reith »

Samira says in her latest interview that the guy is refusing to sell the tape at auction because he wants it to be heard. This is quite incredible when you consider what it would be worth. I really admire this guy for that decision. Looks like they are absolutely determined this will not go the way of Bournmouth, Woolton etc.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
WOA76

Re: (MERGED TOPICS) New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by WOA76 »

I hope something work out this cool
Chris
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:03 pm Samira says in her latest interview that the guy is refusing to sell the tape at auction because he wants it to be heard. This is quite incredible when you consider what it would be worth. I really admire this guy for that decision. Looks like they are absolutely determined this will not go the way of Bournmouth, Woolton etc.
Nothing's stopping him from releasing it, right? An unreleased recording from 1963 would be public domain I think, although he'd maybe still have to pay songwriter royalties? I'm not sure. But that wouldn't stop it from being released.

It'd need polishing up though. Why don't you make him a offer to remaster it, perhaps give a before and after of some Star Club tracks as an example. Of course he won't be short of people who can offer similar services.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:55 pm It'd need polishing up though. Why don't you make him a offer to remaster it, perhaps give a before and after of some Star Club tracks as an example. Of course he won't be short of people who can offer similar services.
I seriously doubt there is anything that can be done for it. The demixing technology can only isolate sounds. If you isolated the distortion on this recording and removed it via demixing, then there would be huge holes left in the sound because the distortion has replaced large bands of frequencies. Also the vocals are well below the threshold at which they can be retrieved.

The question is, once they grasp the fact that no magic process is going to transform it will they still want to make it public?
musigny23

Post by musigny23 »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:55 pm
Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:03 pm Samira says in her latest interview that the guy is refusing to sell the tape at auction because he wants it to be heard. This is quite incredible when you consider what it would be worth. I really admire this guy for that decision. Looks like they are absolutely determined this will not go the way of Bournmouth, Woolton etc.
Nothing's stopping him from releasing it, right? An unreleased recording from 1963 would be public domain I think, although he'd maybe still have to pay songwriter royalties? I'm not sure. But that wouldn't stop it from being released.

It'd need polishing up though. Why don't you make him a offer to remaster it, perhaps give a before and after of some Star Club tracks as an example. Of course he won't be short of people who can offer similar services.
Unfortunately, British Copyright law created a giant exception to the 50 year EU protection. I think it may have been done because Brexit opened an opportunity for lobbyists to get something they desperately wanted apparently. It's called the "2039 rule". By the EU existing rules, the recording would have no longer been protected for the Beatles in 2013. By the 2039 rule, it is now covered till 2039.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eral-rules

Scroll down to Exceptions...

"Unpublished photographs and sound recordings taken/made between 1 June 1957 and 1 August 1989 31 December 2039"

You have to wonder just how it is they chose June 1, 1957. An amazing coincidence with the start of the Lennon/McCartney/Quarrymen/Beatles era.

The performance on the recording would be "free" if not for this. However song publishing I think would still apply and rights holders of the songs performed would be due something I think. I'm not sure if they could prevent a release as long as they were paid the due amounts. Anyway any form of distribution involving commerce would seem problematic. I doubt he cares about any financial gain, but even to simply cover costs it might get tricky. It seems the best bet is to share it informally and let it circulate among fans as things do at sites like this. Basically no cost to that and it will get to the motivated interested fans, albeit slowly and incrementally. Of course that would mean someone or several someones would create a bootleg "release" but with it already freely available, not a lot of product will be sold.

If the basic "good" is that interested fans get to hear it, that is fairly easy to accomplish. However if the "perfect" must be attained, by seeking to prevent any possible bootleg happening, that's going to make the perfect the enemy of the good and cause real problems in allowing it to be heard.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Thanks for the info.

At this late stage, i don't think any of this really matters much anymore. The Beatles have largely disappeared from the public consciousness during the past decade. Get Back brought them into the spotlight but that really only lasted a long weekend, and in this world of constantly rolling media it was just a drop in the ocean.

I estimate there is a core of about 5000 people worldwide who are interested in this obscure stuff (if that), and the rest are happy with the regular albums on spotify. The flood of public domain releases that everyone anticipated in 2013 didn't eventuate because nobody was buying them. And also I think you see this in the official disinterest in bootlegs and the like. Japan is absolutely crawling with them and yet nobody has done anything about it. It's not the 90s anymore, and they realise that these sell in tiny numbers by commercial standards.

Really, they should just have stuck it on youtube and avoided all this nonsense. We'll hear later today about what they have planned but I bet it's something like extracts playing in a booth at the British Library. It all just seems like such a waste. These are not nuclear secrets. They're just old, dated things by a band from 60 years ago. Maybe in 1983 it would have been a hot property, but not now.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:08 am Thanks for the info.

At this late stage, i don't think any of this really matters much anymore. The Beatles have largely disappeared from the public consciousness during the past decade. Get Back brought them into the spotlight but that really only lasted a long weekend, and in this world of constantly rolling media it was just a drop in the ocean.

I estimate there is a core of about 5000 people worldwide who are interested in this obscure stuff (if that), and the rest are happy with the regular albums on spotify. The flood of public domain releases that everyone anticipated in 2013 didn't eventuate because nobody was buying them. And also I think you see this in the official disinterest in bootlegs and the like. Japan is absolutely crawling with them and yet nobody has done anything about it. It's not the 90s anymore, and they realise that these sell in tiny numbers by commercial standards.

Really, they should just have stuck it on youtube and avoided all this nonsense. We'll hear later today about what they have planned but I bet it's something like extracts playing in a booth at the British Library. It all just seems like such a waste. These are not nuclear secrets. They're just old, dated things by a band from 60 years ago. Maybe in 1983 it would have been a hot property, but not now.
I bought the 2013 iTunes Bootleg Recordings 1963 I loved it and wished there been Bootleg Recordings 1964
anyonne know WHY we never got Bootleg Recordings 1964

I know The Bech Boys and Bob Dylan did sets
Chris
evenswr

Post by evenswr »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:08 amI bet it's something like extracts playing in a booth at the British Library.
Yep. :(

http://cadensa.bl.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/?p ... owe+School
macho

Post by macho »

Session has timed out, here's the screenshot from British Library site

macho

Post by macho »

New episode of Front Row with some updates about the tape, new home for that recording + some new bits to hear!

hxxps://we.tl/t-B0Wq1d8cFj (Beatles segment only)

Enjoy!