New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Lord Reith

Re: (MERGED TOPICS) New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Lord Reith »

BDJ wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:32 am Another reason it sounds distorted is possibly the equlaisationj curve of the Butoba. It uses its own EQ curve, hence it should be played back on a Butoba recorder! I hope someone will take that into consideration when restoring the tape ;)
I read that too. I guess our last hope is that he transferred it badly to his laptop, or that he used the Butoba to playback and it is knackered.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
20YearsAgo

Re: (MERGED TOPICS) New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:07 pm
BDJ wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:32 am Another reason it sounds distorted is possibly the equlaisationj curve of the Butoba. It uses its own EQ curve, hence it should be played back on a Butoba recorder! I hope someone will take that into consideration when restoring the tape ;)
I read that too. I guess our last hope is that he transferred it badly to his laptop, or that he used the Butoba to playback and it is knackered.
I mentioned this earlier, but part of the problem might be in the playback. The broadcast version was taped from a playback of the tape inside a theater. The tape was "played at eleven," so part of the distortion might've been at the playback end. Also, Lewisohn comments in the show that the sound can be vastly improved if current remastering/AI methods were applied to it.

Which makes me think that the BBC Front Row show didn't give a hoot about presenting any part of this recording to us in best possible quality. Because, well, if they did they would've requested to have one of their sound techs give it a good cleaning up.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

20YearsAgo wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:31 pm I mentioned this earlier, but part of the problem might be in the playback. The broadcast version was taped from a playback of the tape inside a theater. The tape was "played at eleven," so part of the distortion might've been at the playback end.
It surely didn't help, but csnyfan says that the section that has the end of ISHST and then TMMB is inline and not over speakers.

Personally, I could listen to it quite happily distortion and all. But 99% of people would pull a face. It's not something that could seriously be released, only broadcast or streamed.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Any guesses as to the identity of the "major cultural institution" they want to donate the tape to?

The British Library is my guess. They also have a listening service for visitors, which further accords with the desire to have it heard by the public.

Many of us may end up having to buy a very expensive airline ticket to hear this!
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:35 pm
20YearsAgo wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:31 pm I mentioned this earlier, but part of the problem might be in the playback. The broadcast version was taped from a playback of the tape inside a theater. The tape was "played at eleven," so part of the distortion might've been at the playback end.
It surely didn't help, but csnyfan says that the section that has the end of ISHST and then TMMB is inline and not over speakers.
Ahh... I must've missed that post when I read through the thread. Still, I'm sure the quality of this could've been improved had Front Row cared. But their story wasn't so much about the *tape* but the circumstances of the show and its recording. The radio show was a fine show. I enjoyed it and learned a fair few things. But the *tape* itself (while providing for the impetus of the show) seems to have been of secondary importance to the radio show producers.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Phil_Lip wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:54 pm
Now we know more about this recording re looking t this photo I see the mic stand in front of the stage >
if so it is cool to see the mic in the photo to backup this story about the history on this recording
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

EmSfp-0W4AEkylp.jpg
EmSfp-0W4AEkylp.jpg (263.44 KiB) Viewed 985 times
different photo person's hands up
mic stand ???
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

file.jpg
file.jpg (128.75 KiB) Viewed 982 times
FAR Bottom LEFT
someone clapping
Mic Stand ??
Chris
Mark Graves

Re: Beatles at Stowe 1963 recording found

Post by Mark Graves »

batdude98 wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:11 am
Mark Graves wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:29 am
Mark, do you think you could share the audio from this video in highest quality? I love the way this is edited, and would love to include it in my personal live shows collection...
Here you have.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qIIhav ... share_link

Cheers, M.