New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Lon Chaney III

Re: Beatles at Stowe 1963 recording found

Post by Lon Chaney III »

Many thanks obodder and Guru-Deva. Excellent stuff!
ruedabeat

Post by ruedabeat »

:geek: How about using a bit of AI:

hxxps://we.tl/t-lhd8wMQZlL
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Thanks, everyone for sharing this.

So... we've got an ancient audience tape... that the show's producers decided would sound best if they played the recording through another theatre's loud speakers that are "turned up to 11."

So we've got an audience tape of an audience tape? Over which people are talking.

Wonderful.

Like, why must everything be so frustrating?
Lord Reith

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Lord Reith »

greyratfromBZ wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:30 pm What's with John's intro of "hello, hello - who's your lady friend"? He seemed to have an endless amount of strange, eccentric, and funny things to say and do on stage.
I think John got all that stuff from his role model Julia. By all accounts, she behaved constantly as if she were on the stage.

Also, if you read the Just William books you get another insight into John's character. I think he basically modelled himself on a mix of Julia and Just William, with a little bit of Mimi's haughty sterness thrown in for good measure.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
batdude98

Post by batdude98 »

Mark Graves wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:29 am
Mark, do you think you could share the audio from this video in highest quality? I love the way this is edited, and would love to include it in my personal live shows collection...
Phil_Lip

Re: (MERGED TOPICS) New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Phil_Lip »

A bit more background.
http://www.samiraahmed.co.uk/discoverin ... t-in-time/

This may explain why the couldn't play much of the tape.
"A colleague in BBC Music rights helped my editors Tim Prosser and Rebecca Stratford clear permission to use extracts."

My guess is that's all Apple would allow, similar to the Woolton fete tape.

Maybe more information will be forthcoming at this event.
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/i-am-the ... 4933721507
Most of my links are to OneDrive. However, OneDrive does impose a download limit and when this is reached displays a message that the files are deleted or have expired. Leave it a while and try again later.
Lord Reith

Re: (MERGED TOPICS) New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Lord Reith »

Lewisohn was played the whole tape over a skype call.

If he didn't make a covert recording of the call, then I am Marie of Romania. At least one person other than this guy now has some sort of copy!

There are 22 songs, with an estimated 2 missing at the end. So why is it being kept a secret? Are even Beatles set lists State Secrets now?
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
georgefromhenley

Post by georgefromhenley »

Actually it is not that simple with uploading anything on Youtube. If Apple will sue you you will get broke just for the lawyers fees alone.
Jens Terje

Re: New discovery - Beatles performing live in UK. At Stowe School April 4th '63

Post by Jens Terje »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:56 pm
greyratfromBZ wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:30 pm What's with John's intro of "hello, hello - who's your lady friend"? He seemed to have an endless amount of strange, eccentric, and funny things to say and do on stage.
I think John got all that stuff from his role model Julia. By all accounts, she behaved constantly as if she were on the stage.

Also, if you read the Just William books you get another insight into John's character. I think he basically modelled himself on a mix of Julia and Just William, with a little bit of Mimi's haughty sterness thrown in for good measure.
Right you are :!:
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Krussell2021 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:13 pm Trouble is, if Apple get their hands on it, they'll just sit on it and we'll never hear it. Perhaps I should be more optimistic.
The way that Apple is just holding back all this live material makes me wonder if there's some kind of release that they're planning it for; but then I remember that someone here said that the EDAW documentary originated as a live boxset idea, so I don't know if we will ever see a live box now. Either way I'd really love to know what exactly they're waiting for.