RIP Derek Gee (Norm DePlume)

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
b1ockboy

RIP Derek Gee (Norm DePlume)

Post by b1ockboy »

It’s with great sadness for me to tell you that Derek passed away Thursday at 60. Derek and I were friends since we were 4.

Paul
Kwai Chang

Re: RIP Derek Gee (Norm DePlume)

Post by Kwai Chang »

b1ockboy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:17 pm It’s with great sadness for me to tell you that Derek passed away Thursday at 60. Derek and I were friends since we were 4. Paul
If The Beatles taught us anything, it's that moments can be eternal...
but as they pass, their 'permanence' is equally unmistakable.
But, as The Beatles also showed us, what remains behind is not merely memories or music
...but the individuals, themselves.
R.I.P. Derek!
Warmest regards, deepest sympathies!
KC
b1ockboy

Post by b1ockboy »

Kwai Chang wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:56 pm
b1ockboy wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:17 pm It’s with great sadness for me to tell you that Derek passed away Thursday at 60. Derek and I were friends since we were 4. Paul
If The Beatles taught us anything, it's that moments can be eternal...
but as they pass, their 'permanence' is equally unmistakable.
But, as The Beatles also showed us, what remains behind is not merely memories or music
...but the individuals, themselves.
R.I.P. Derek!
Warmest regards, deepest sympathies!
KC
Thanks KC.

I remember when we were in high school, driving to Ann Arbor all the time to see if they had any new Beatles boots. Or to Chicago for Beatles Fest. Fun times.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

That is sad news. His last post here was less than a month ago.

I suppose we all like to delude ourselves that we'll soldier on happily into our 80s, but this is a reminder that there are no certainties in life or death. My condolences to his friends.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

Thanks for letting us know. My sincere sympathies to you and his family. RIP..
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

RIP Derek.
Fast lucky

Post by Fast lucky »

My condolences and deepest sympathy to his family and his friends.Sherish your favourite memories of him.

One thing is certain, our time will also come so enjoy life while you can.
FestVideoRoom

Post by FestVideoRoom »

Derek was salt of the earth. He will be deeply missed, particularly by those of us who knew him personally. What saddens me the most is that I will never again hear his voice greeting me on the phone with his voice evoking that of The Muppet Show's Dr. Bunsen Honeydew with an exuberant, "Hello there, Mister Steve!"

For those who own a copy of John C. Winn's excellent book "Lifting Latches," have a look at pages 298-299 where Winn transcribes a radio call-in show on WRIF wherein "an inexplicably angry" Derek Gee and his friend Bruce Elliott (sadly gone many many years now) confront Kevin Howlett on the usage of bootleg records on the then-recent "The Beatles at the Beeb" radio documentary. It should be noted that Derek got a good chuckle about being quoted in the book -- and an even bigger chuckle over the "inexplicably angry" description.

I'll miss you. pal...

Steve
b1ockboy

Post by b1ockboy »

FestVideoRoom wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:04 am Derek was salt of the earth. He will be deeply missed, particularly by those of us who knew him personally. What saddens me the most is that I will never again hear his voice greeting me on the phone with his voice evoking that of The Muppet Show's Dr. Bunsen Honeydew with an exuberant, "Hello there, Mister Steve!"

For those who own a copy of John C. Winn's excellent book "Lifting Latches," have a look at pages 298-299 where Winn transcribes a radio call-in show on WRIF wherein "an inexplicably angry" Derek Gee and his friend Bruce Elliott (sadly gone many many years now) confront Kevin Howlett on the usage of bootleg records on the then-recent "The Beatles at the Beeb" radio documentary. It should be noted that Derek got a good chuckle about being quoted in the book -- and an even bigger chuckle over the "inexplicably angry" description.

I'll miss you. pal...

Steve
Wow, I had completely forgotten about that. Is WRIF still on the air in Detroit?
b1ockboy

Post by b1ockboy »