The Beatles 1963 by Dafydd Rees OUT NOW!

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Lewis Marconi

The Beatles 1963 by Dafydd Rees OUT NOW!

Post by Lewis Marconi »

At the start of 1963, The Beatles were a successful local Liverpool band with one hit single; twelve months, two albums, and the arrival of Beatlemania later, they were on the cusp of world domination. Featuring daily entries covering every pivotal event, The Beatles – 1963 draws on hundreds of new eyewitness accounts and provides numerous unseen photographs. Meticulously researched, this is the definitive account of the momentous year that sent John, Paul, George, and Ringo to stratospheric heights.

By the author: "I am deeply indebted to Mark Lewisohn, who graciously invited me into his home where I spent a day rummaging through his files, unearthing untold gems. When I was reaching a brick wall and thinking I wouldn’t be able to finish this project, Mark encouraged me not to give up."

Links / previews:
https://omnibuspress.com/products/beatl ... tober-2022

Unboxing:
Lord Reith

Re: The Beatles 1963 by Dafydd Rees OUT NOW!

Post by Lord Reith »

Oh wow... this is right up my alley! 1963, the year the world changed...
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

Bought!
lyntone

Post by lyntone »

Deffo avin it! This will be my Beatles Christmas Show this year!
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Oh wow. Inject this directly into my veins. 1963 is my favorite Beatle year for a number of years now. I spent time reading all of the online available music newspapers from that year. It’s fascinating to see the mania grow over the course of the year as the coverage grows. You really see how a lot was driven by that fact that there were suddenly Lennon/McCartney songs by others in the top ten. It really gave the papers something to report on and added to the unique experience everyone was watching/reading/listening unfold.
MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

The year was just about to burst open.

MrMurphMcgee

Post by MrMurphMcgee »

Even though I was on vacation last week visiting my family, I still took my read of this slow. I’m warming up to the format. Each day is detailed and most have a recollection from someone contemporary to that date. I’m only in April and things are really starting to pop. I’ve been taking breaks to listen to any recording from each date. It make for a fun slow read that way and makes the fun last. I also find myself searching for photos by date. Read it and take your time. Highly recommend.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

This has got to be one of the best Beatle books ever written. 1100+ pages of Tune In-style detail, but all about 1963! Joy abounds! :D :D :D

He literally lists what The Beatles did every single day, and 90% of it is new to me. At the end of each day is an interview with a fan from that period, talking about how they either saw or met The Beatles, or both. These interviews are an amazing insight into that period when the group was suddenly appearing on teenagers' radar but wasn't yet mega famous. You get a real sense of what it was like to be there, and not what it was like in hindsight.

Mind you, the book will make you squirm with envy at the idea of being able to go along to your local cinema or dance hall and for a handful of change see The Beatles playing their hearts out not ten feet away. There's many little excerpts from newspaper mentions of the time, and I would just give anything to have been there when The Beatles "blew up a storm of excitement with Long Tall Sally and Keep Your Hands Off My Baby". Aughh! Someone lend me a TARDIS, please!

I was half expecting this book to be just more of the same rehashed stories, but am thrilled to have been proven totally wrong. This is a book for every fan to read and treasure. Read it as you play the 1963 radio broadcasts, and it's the closest thing to time travel you'll probably ever get.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
IFeelFine

Post by IFeelFine »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:10 am Aughh! Someone lend me a TARDIS, please!
I can't lend you a Tardis, but I can lend you my comb.
I have the book but haven't started it yet.
Fred68

Post by Fred68 »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:10 am This has got to be one of the best Beatle books ever written. 1100+ pages of Tune In-style detail, but all about 1963!
In the linked video, the author states that the book is 528 pages long. Is there more than one version of the book for sale?