Is Paul using a new Höfner bass?

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
billylentz

Is Paul using a new Höfner bass?

Post by billylentz »

Hi guys!

A friend pointed that Paul´s guitarpick marks on the Höfner are gone on the Taylor Hawkins tribute.

I don´t hink it sounds very much like Paul to repair old marks that already have their history. Looks more likely it´s a different Höfner.

It does look like it has a slightly darker finish and maybe a thicker burst from the outer edges.

What do you guys think?

C90

Re: Is Paul using a new Höfner bass?

Post by C90 »

Paul has lots of Hofner basses. Some vintage, some modern replicas. I'm sure he varies which he plays
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

We haven't seen the setlist Hofner in some time, it seems.
billylentz

Post by billylentz »

C90 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:38 pm Paul has lots of Hofner basses. Some vintage, some modern replicas. I'm sure he varies which he plays
Oh; I didn´t know about that. But does he really?

Here´s what I´ve heard of:

1. Paul´s 1961 bass:
This is the one Paul used until ´63 then eventually throughout the sixties, until it was lost presumably in 1969. As far as I know, it´s still missing, though sometimes we get a rumour someone has spotted it. It´s noticeable for the white pickguard and because both the pickups are near the neck.

2. The ´63 bass:
This is the setlist bass we´re used to see Paul using. It´s noticeable for the guitar pick scratches and the distant pickups; one near the neck, the other near the bridge.

3. The Queen´s Jubilee Union Jack bass

4. At 3´06" at the "Find my way" video we can spot a bass much similar to the ´61 Höfner. I´m assuming it´s a copy of the original.
()

5/6. This site (https://www.guitarworld.com/features/pa ... ofner-bass) mentiones two more Höfners: a 1967 edition Paul bought in 2016 and a new 2018 hand-made bass. Maybe the one he used on the Taylor Hawkins concert was one of these. Or maybe someone just lent him one.