Stolen from Lord Reith

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Kwai Chang

Re: Stolen from Lord Reith

Post by Kwai Chang »

alphabeatles wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:58 pm Poo-Bah! Back when it was in the old house on N. Wilson.
Last time I was at Poobah Records it had moved to Colorado Blvd...East of the college.
Sadly, I don't collect records tapes or CDs anymore!
There was even a Bleeker Bob's on Melrose in West Hollywood in mid 80's.
Moby Disc, Aron's, Blue Meanie Records, FreakBeat, Second Spin...
Hollywood Hyatt, Capitol Parking Lot, Buena Park Sequoia Club...
(Pasadena City College is where I spent most of my money!
Waiting list for a vendor slot in the records section was 5 years long!
KC
Bumblebee

Post by Bumblebee »

Lord Reith, your proposed business model is already out there and working very well - it’s called Record Store Day.
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

Kwai Chang wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:58 am
alphabeatles wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:58 pm Poo-Bah! Back when it was in the old house on N. Wilson.
Last time I was at Poobah Records it had moved to Colorado Blvd...East of the college.
Sadly, I don't collect records tapes or CDs anymore!
There was even a Bleeker Bob's on Melrose in West Hollywood in mid 80's.
Moby Disc, Aron's, Blue Meanie Records, FreakBeat, Second Spin...
Well, sure. Fine. But you're talking about actual record stores.

Neal's was the equivalent of a large lump on the neck of all those. It was officially "Neal's Records," but no one called it that. And it was a "store" only in the manner of an empty storefront that had had the contents of the burning record shop next door hurriedly and haphazardly thrown into it, heaped in random, unstable mounds. The "good stuff" was in a back corner cubbyhole that could double for bunker if you looked at it just right. One could get the jump on the monthly swap meets there bootleg-wise and, on cold nights, warm their hands on the extensive collection of rarest LD's Neal always seemed to have at bargain prices. It was right near the Mall, on a weird little dogleg sidestreet that would seem right at home on Severance. And then it wasn't.

Interesting Neal facts:
- Graduated from Cal Poly with a BA in (wait for it) Business.
- Busted twice in the Great 90s RIAA Bootleg Crackdowns; second time during a pursuit that included a police helicopter.
- Forcefully opined on a music blog recently that Pat Boone deserved election to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (I wholeheartedly agree - if only as a warning to others)
Last edited by rtbcIII on Fri May 13, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

rtbcIII wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:31 pm Well, sure. Fine. But you're talking about actual record stores.

Neal's was the equivalent of a large lump on the neck of all those. It was officially "Neal's Records," but no one called it that. And it was a "store" only in the manner of an empty storefront that had had the contents of the burning record shop next door hurriedly and haphazardly thrown into it, heaped in random, unstable mounds. The "good stuff" was in a back corner cubbyhole that could double for bunker if you looked at it just right. One could get the jump on the monthly swap meets there bootleg-wise and, on cold nights, warm their hands on the extensive collection of rarest LD's Neal always seem to have at bargain prices. It was right near the Mall, on a weird little dogleg sidestreet that would seem right at home on Severance. And then it wasn't.

Interesting Neal facts:
- Graduated from Cal Poly with a BA in (wait for it) Business.
- Busted twice in the Great 90s RIAA Bootleg Crackdowns; second time during a pursuit that included a police helicopter.
- Forcefully opined on a music blog recently that Pat Boone deserved election to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (I wholeheartedly agree - if only as a warning to others)
Thank you, rtbcIII!!!
That is a beautiful comment! In the words of the immortal Sonny Boy Williamson II...
"Don't start me talkin', I'll tell everything I know!"
Pasadena reached the end of an era when C&H Surplus Sales closed. THAT store was far out. No music...but lots of mischief waiting to be had.
Thank you, for the assist!
KC
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

It's very sad to see someone steal Lord Reith's hard work, but at least they have the dignity to give him credit on the back. And like LR said, it's not hurting The Beatles' reputation like say, Sapcor's albums or Indian Rope Trick.
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

The point is it takes LR (like others) months to slave away vs someone with the assets, create their own art, click & paste to CD all told less than a days work then it's off to the market for some quick dough.
Oh and thanks to Lord Reith for what "oh for just sharing the free download thanks bud".
misterclaudel

Post by misterclaudel »

On an off subject , someone stole my Sharpie....
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Bootleggers stole the Nagra....no one complained then :lol:
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I've had dozens of my titles stolen by the Japanese and pirated on silver CDs that they charged a lot of money for. But I can't do anything about it. Most likely, anyone who bought their issues of my work didn't have any idea that they could have got it from elsewhere for free. However, I can find solace in the fact that if somebody paid cash for something I made to whoever reissued it, they are getting the best version I could possibly produce. So they don't have to get dozens of other issues trying to find the best iteration of tracks. I've given them the best I could get out of them.

I posted them in a place where anyone could find them, because I wanted people to find them. i have had to come to the realization that as soon as my work leaves my modem, I have no control over what anyone does with the sound files. Somebody could download them as mp3s and put them on a CD that has massive compression and limiting and strange EQ, and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. This has been done many times.

So anybody who has had to buy CDs that are pirated from Lord Reith's work are getting the best possible iteration of that material. There isn't anywhere they could go to get better versions of that stuff. Lord Reith knows how to make the ne plus ultra versions of everything. He isn't getting any of the money that some dirtbag charged for it, but the customers are getting the best iteration of it that exists. They don't know anything about worse versions of it that we've all had to endure. They have the best.
Last edited by mojofilter on Sat May 14, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Wow, thanks mojofilter.

I am guessing that many of these Japanese fans don't visit English speaking forums because they may find it difficult or impossible to follow what is going on. So maybe this is their only way of getting their fix. If that is the case, good luck to them. The discs are as good as legal in Japan and the people who buy them are getting something decent for their money, so in the end it doesn't really matter. The only time I got upset is when EV took credit for the Magnetophon Band production. Sorry fellas, that's a no-no. That's like me saying I wrote Hey Jude.