Stolen from Lord Reith

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
misterclaudel

Re: Stolen from Lord Reith

Post by misterclaudel »

harrythebannister wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:03 am Bootleggers stole the Nagra....no one complained then :lol:
VERY true sir!!
rtbcIII

Post by rtbcIII »

IMHO there may be some psychology involved - some people collect records, while others collect music. And those aren't necessarily the same thing. I wonder how all these copycat collections would sell if they came packaged strictly in plain white sleeves?
Mr Bump

Post by Mr Bump »

This is one I did, as part of the Nagra Gold box set. Someone somewhere, Japan I think, extracted it from the set and manufactured it.

I'm actually quite proud to see it like this. I don't feel like anything's been stolen from me.

Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:01 am Wow, thanks mojofilter.
Sorry fellas, that's a no-no. That's like me saying I wrote Hey Jude.
Sorry, Wilson Pickett wrote Hey Jude!
KC
TAKRL

Post by TAKRL »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:01 am I am guessing that many of these Japanese fans don't visit English speaking forums because they may find it difficult or impossible to follow what is going on. So maybe this is their only way of getting their fix. If that is the case, good luck to them. The discs are as good as legal in Japan and the people who buy them are getting something decent for their money, so in the end it doesn't really matter.
While it is true that most Japanese fans do not look at English-speaking forums, you guys are a little bit wrong in your perception.
First, bootlegs are illegal in Japan as well. Some people have been arrested for selling Japanese music bootlegs on internet auctions.
This is because copyright infringement is a custodial offence, so record companies and musicians are arrested when they report damage to the police.
On the other hand, bootleggers are not arrested for bootlegs of Western music, as musicians do not report damage to the Japanese police.
For example, if Paul McCartney or Apple Corps filed a bootleg damage report with the Japanese police, the Beatles' bootlegs would disappear. But musicians who don't live in Japan don't go that far. Besides, Apple Corps is not based in Japan.

Also, Japanese fans still tend to stick to CDs and other physical products rather than streaming or downloadable music. Compared to other countries, CD shops such as Tower Records in Japan have yet to go out of business or go bankrupt, which is proof of this.
Even if unofficial audio sources are distributed free of charge on the internet, many people still want them on CD. However, there is no doubt that they will gradually decline in the future.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

rtbcIII wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:49 pm IMHO there may be some psychology involved - some people collect records, while others collect music. And those aren't necessarily the same thing. I wonder how all these copycat collections would sell if they came packaged strictly in plain white sleeves?
A plain white sleeve might be less confusing. But, Americans won't buy products in generic packaging.
If the cover says SHEA 1965 but the disc plays Hollywood Bowl '64, it could still be an honest mistake.
All bootlegs come from the same place. A bootleg that is too perfect is called Official Product.
The thievery was part of the original design. It seems that music publishing and licensing rights are the primary concerns and after that, it's all theft(two sets of books...minimum). The relative ease of manufacturing is still beyond the scope of cottage industry...the 'stolen' Lord Reith versions are professionally made(pressed discs, offset lithography printing). Many forum members are making FAN-tastic projects that will probably be given physical embodiment without their permission. That will NOT be a surprise.
If Lord Reith starts putting in 40 hour weeks at Abbey Road...that will NOT be a surprise.
If he starts selling pressed discs at the local swap meet...then he's been demoted.
Welcome to the real economy(crime).
KC
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

TAKRL wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:39 pm While it is true that most Japanese fans do not look at English-speaking forums, you guys are a little bit wrong in your perception.
First, bootlegs are illegal in Japan as well. Some people have been arrested for selling Japanese music bootlegs on internet auctions.
This is because copyright infringement is a custodial offence, so record companies and musicians are arrested when they report damage to the police.
On the other hand, bootleggers are not arrested for bootlegs of Western music, as musicians do not report damage to the Japanese police.
For example, if Paul McCartney or Apple Corps filed a bootleg damage report with the Japanese police, the Beatles' bootlegs would disappear. But musicians who don't live in Japan don't go that far. Besides, Apple Corps is not based in Japan.

Also, Japanese fans still tend to stick to CDs and other physical products rather than streaming or downloadable music. Compared to other countries, CD shops such as Tower Records in Japan have yet to go out of business or go bankrupt, which is proof of this.
Even if unofficial audio sources are distributed free of charge on the internet, many people still want them on CD. However, there is no doubt that they will gradually decline in the future.
Thanks for explaining that! I think I understand it better now.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

harrythebannister wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:03 am Bootleggers stole the Nagra....no one complained then :lol:
Man...I love it when reality becomes the joke and the moral of the story.
It's like eating a chocolate chip cookie that is so good that you realize milk is heroin.
I'm glad that I stopped collecting. Some of these products look 'PURE'!!!
KC
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Bumblebee wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:38 pm I’ve seen the As Nature Intended set and it is pretty special with a booklet, poster and postcards. The best bit is the mini sleeve reproductions of the different variations of the Get Back albums, each holding a different acetate version of the planned album. I didn’t recognise the sources for this set, it doesn’t look like anything that’s been posted here and the bits I heard were very high quality - on a par with the official stuff.
Any chance on sharing it?
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

rtbcIII wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:49 pm IMHO there may be some psychology involved - some people collect records, while others collect music. And those aren't necessarily the same thing. I wonder how all these copycat collections would sell if they came packaged strictly in plain white sleeves?
I agree with you. I used to be a record collector, and would search out and find the best-condition copy of the original record I could find. Over the years, the more expensive that became, and my ambition shifting to wanting to be able to hear those songs without surface noise and scratches, I became a music collector. I have repurchased, in large measure, my entire vinyl collection, except for those records that have never become available in digital form.

There are still thousands of records I have that either are not available as FLAC downloads from the copyright holders, or not available at all. Some labels are doing that, though. True North in Canada is one. You can buy albums or singles, or tracks off an album in FLAC from the master tapes for a fraction of what it would cost you to try to source a vinyl copy of it. They are all guaranteed to sound better than any record you could buy them on. More record companies need to adopt this model. Until such time, it now costs me $20 a month to borrow the software that will allow me to clean up vinyl copies of the records that cannot be found in any other format.

Now I'm a music collector. I just want to be able to hear that song, whatever song it is, in the best possible fidelity. I don't really care anymore if it's on the original label. I just want to be able to hear it.

This ties into a concept put forward in another thread that copyright holders are waiting for the sale of physical media to stop, so they can increase the fees they charge for you to be able to hear a song, and you will eventually only be able to hear old songs on a pay-per-listen basis. And the files will most likely be lossy.

This is why I'm still a sound file and record collector. After I die, I don't care what happens to music. I've already paid for it several times. I refuse to pay for it in perpetuity while I'm alive and would like to hear it.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.