New BBC Special Coming....

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
Lon Chaney III

Re: New BBC Special Coming....

Post by Lon Chaney III »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:12 am It pains me to say it, but the BBC is rubbish these days. I used to watch and listen to it all the time, now hardly ever. A pale shadow of a once great institution.
I have to ask my Lord, were you in character when you wrote that? :D
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Lon Chaney III wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:28 am
Lord Reith wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:12 am It pains me to say it, but the BBC is rubbish these days. I used to watch and listen to it all the time, now hardly ever. A pale shadow of a once great institution.
I have to ask my Lord, were you in character when you wrote that? :D
I am turning in my grave.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

They'd claim it's all about money. Reduced funding. Not having a license is no longer a criminal matter, now just a civil one. Government less and less interested in preserving it. Will probably end up a commercial station like all the rest in time.

In it's defense as a UK resident I have to say it does still make and commission SOME good programmes and when they are good they do beat what ITV and Channel 5 are making. As I've commented before the standard of hosts, announcers, continuity announcers is shocking. That's where ITV etc are streets ahead now (exception ITV breakfast TV...truly awful! I watch BBC at that time everyday)...but that's probably about money. They poach any good presenters the Beeb have.
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

If the BBC ever go private...It should be like PBS, done by subsciber donations

Music wise...BBC has one of the largest Music Collections

Still tons of stuff they could release, even tho' I see stuff being relesed every so often

They should have put out a BBC Record Label

It would rival Universal, SONY, & BMG

Here in Canada, same types of issues here with CBC,
but they do commercials, & no TV Tax

They have a catalog of Music...I see some concerts leaked out

Guess Who, for an example

I love to hear their version of doing Sgt. Pepper Album, on radio

Randy Bachman stated in a CD notes of a CBC show I Bought aa few years back

I have it arched...Haven't yet found it & same with the 2001 Rory Storm CD

At the time only the Public Libraries in Vancouver area had it..I never seen it for sale

As all the record store left A&B Sound Virgin & HMV...Imports are very difficult to get

I never seen the All Thing Must Pass Box Set...Sold Out quickley,

& same with any BMG-Dark Horse Releases, like Billy Idol EP

I really don't like shopping online, hackers & getting my mail, etc...& Covid Rules to boot
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

jpgrcat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:59 pm If the BBC ever go private...It should be like PBS, done by subsciber donations

Music wise...BBC has one of the largest Music Collections

Still tons of stuff they could release, even tho' I see stuff being relesed every so often

They should have put out a BBC Record Label

It would rival Universal, SONY, & BMG

Here in Canada, same types of issues here with CBC,
but they do commercials, & no TV Tax

They have a catalog of Music...I see some concerts leaked out

Guess Who, for an example

I love to hear their version of doing Sgt. Pepper Album, on radio

Randy Bachman stated in a CD notes of a CBC show I Bought aa few years back

I have it arched...Haven't yet found it & same with the 2001 Rory Storm CD

At the time only the Public Libraries in Vancouver area had it..I never seen it for sale

As all the record store left A&B Sound Virgin & HMV...Imports are very difficult to get

I never seen the All Thing Must Pass Box Set...Sold Out quickley,

& same with any BMG-Dark Horse Releases, like Billy Idol EP

I really don't like shopping online, hackers & getting my mail, etc...& Covid Rules to boot
"They should have put out a BBC Record Label"

They did. They still use it for mainly non-music releases, like in 2019 Goons, Dr Who.

For music these days they tend to us their sub-labels...

2 Entertain
Demon Music Group Ltd.
Lookout Point Limited
MCI Music Publishing Ltd.
joguema

Post by joguema »

Oh, I missed this one.

Can somebody please be so kind to re-up it for me (and probably others)?

Thanks in advance.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ianbuckers wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:39 pm
They'd claim it's all about money. Reduced funding. Not having a license is no longer a criminal matter, now just a civil one. Government less and less interested in preserving it. Will probably end up a commercial station like all the rest in time.

In it's defense as a UK resident I have to say it does still make and commission SOME good programmes and when they are good they do beat what ITV and Channel 5 are making. As I've commented before the standard of hosts, announcers, continuity announcers is shocking. That's where ITV etc are streets ahead now (exception ITV breakfast TV...truly awful! I watch BBC at that time everyday)...but that's probably about money. They poach any good presenters the Beeb have.
Well, as an example take the "Watergate" documentary series from 1994 recently posted on Iplayer. It really took me by surprise because it is so intelligent and well researched, and well narrated too. Then I remembered, "Ahhh, this is what the BBC used to be like!" No lowering the bar to that of seven year olds. No silly announcers with strange lisps and vocal affectations. No female presenters in revealing costumes leering at the camera. Just a bloody good piece of television. The kind of thing PBS still does, although even they have been dancing with the devil of late.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:29 am
ianbuckers wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:39 pm

Well, as an example take the "Watergate" documentary series from 1994 recently posted on Iplayer. It really took me by surprise because it is so intelligent and well researched, and well narrated too. Then I remembered, "Ahhh, this is what the BBC used to be like!" No lowering the bar to that of seven year olds. No silly announcers with strange lisps and vocal affectations. No female presenters in revealing costumes leering at the camera. Just a bloody good piece of television. The kind of thing PBS still does, although even they have been dancing with the devil of late.
I have started to get hooked on some of the series on our version of PBS. They have a great series on the history of Country Music. Watched their comprehensive and massive documentary series on the Vietnam War. Currently have their Civil War (American one not ours!) series downloaded ready to digest. Only problem is these series are all massive. Episodes typically 2 hours each and lots of them so big demand on time...but worth the investment if you want a more in-depth insight than you have ever seen before on these subjects.
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

You still get the odd Beatles question on Pointless. Do you get that on ITV's The Chase?
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

ianbuckers wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:00 am
I have started to get hooked on some of the series on our version of PBS. They have a great series on the history of Country Music. Watched their comprehensive and massive documentary series on the Vietnam War. Currently have their Civil War (American one not ours!) series downloaded ready to digest. Only problem is these series are all massive. Episodes typically 2 hours each and lots of them so big demand on time...but worth the investment if you want a more in-depth insight than you have ever seen before on these subjects.
They sound like Ken Burn's series. A terrific documentary maker and series that we often see over here. As for the BBC, it isn't perfect but it's worth every penny. The right wing press have been trying to bring it down for years, as have the government.