Michael Nesmith Dies

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
mojofilter

Re: Michael Nesmith Dies

Post by mojofilter »

This is really sad news. For Christmas 1967 I got a record player, and my first album was "Headquarters." Michael's songs on that album are among my favorites of all time. I watched their TV show when it was new, and bought their records. Tonight I'm going to have a drink to someone who feels like an old friend... he's been kind of a fixture in my life since I first heard of him. So long, Mike. First up on the stereo: "Joanne," a breathtaking song.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Gredel21

Post by Gredel21 »

Another Beloved Musician passes away.
The Monkee's were one of the many bands of the 60's that I still listen to today.
Mike was a brilliant musician in his own rite ,
Was able to see the Monkee's on tour a few years ago when on vacation.
R.I.P Mike
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

ssane

Post by ssane »

Many, many years ago I bought Nevada Fighter. I thought it was great and loved it at the time.

I actually wrote to Mike Nesmith at Pacific Arts to tell him how much I enjoyed it.

After a while I actually got a hand written reply from Mike sayings thanks and signed Nez.

I think I'll pull Nevada Fighter out and give it a spin again.

So long Mike and thanks for the great music.
dumbchops

Post by dumbchops »

I was lucky to attend the final concert at the Greek Theatre on November 14th. I am currently making a movie of the concert to be shared everywhere.
baggiod

Post by baggiod »

The first single I ever had was Pleasant Valley Sunday which my mother brought back from Switzerland when she worked for a travel firm.
I played in to death on an old dansette.
Always love his guitar on that.
R.I.P Mike
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

ssane wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:31 am Many, many years ago I bought Nevada Fighter. I thought it was great and loved it at the time.

I actually wrote to Mike Nesmith at Pacific Arts to tell him how much I enjoyed it.

After a while I actually got a hand written reply from Mike sayings thanks and signed Nez.
That is really freakin' cool that he responded to you personally. I would treasure that piece of correspondence forever.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Max Brink

Post by Max Brink »

Very Sad. The Monkees should have been inducted to the rock and roll hall of fame decades ago, and Mike Nesmith should be inducted as a solo artist: he invented country rock! He wrote so many great songs. He will be missed.
hogshead of hellfire

Post by hogshead of hellfire »

So, now, the only three core people remaining from the "Monkees project" are: Micky, producer/director Bob Rafelson (one of the two, most underrated directors in filmmaking history --- the other for argument's sake, in my book, being Robert Wise), and co-songwriter Bobby Hart.

There was once an odd bit of trivia; suggesting that: Nez, Chet Atkins, and George Harrison were the only three artists to have ever played Gretsch Country Gentlemans on a Top 10 charting song. It was a disappointment to know, however, that James Burton played the kind-of "Fools Rush In" riff on Nez's "Papa Gene's Blues" and not Nez himself(!).

I think the filmed performance of "Circle Sky", from a Monkees staged 1968 concert in Utah, in HEAD is THE BEST edited document (next to the "Another Girl" segment in HELP!) of a Rock performance in a movie.

Here's to that Infinite Rider of the Big Dogma on a Double Phaeton Wing eternally above: Michael Nesmith was truly an original!
reechie

Post by reechie »

Do yourself a favor, at the very least give a listen to anything Michael Nesmith recorded for RCA in the early 70's after leaving The Monkees. It's all top notch. This is a major loss.