Geoff Emerick tape

Share the latest updates from the Fabs/Friends. Links to interviews and articles go here.
JosRem

Geoff Emerick tape

Post by JosRem »

dascottjr

Re: Geoff Emerick tape

Post by dascottjr »

Good for his family. The last thing we need is for UMG to get it, never do anything with it, and let it burn in a fire years later.
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

If anyone remembers a few years back, the article's information of the tape is a little misleading. It's not a demo tape. It's either a session tape reel of Love Me Do or Please Please Me that he accidentally took home and then hid it away afraid he'd get in trouble. He slowly forgot about it and no one asked about it. I forget if he said about it in an interview a few years back before he died or if it was in the book he put out. But that is the tape his family is talking about and the question of ownership I think is riding on that 50 years copyright law or something, so EMI doesn't really have ownership rights to the material anymore, which was why he felt semi brave about telling the story when he found the reel again. I don't remember any photos of the tape box yet.
dk2600

Post by dk2600 »

You can find all the courtpapers here. Next hearing is november 5th, so we will very soon have news. And then we have to wait for 15. august 2022 for Petition for Final Distribution or Status Report https://unicourt.com/search?q=geoffrey%20emerick&a=all
Last edited by dk2600 on Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

It's the complete session tape to the June 6th session.
june 6th session tape box.jpg
june 6th session tape box.jpg (138.2 KiB) Viewed 3993 times
stereoman33

Post by stereoman33 »

The original 59 year old session tape with Pete Best.
I wonder if it's twin track.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

stereoman33 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:14 am The original 59 year old session tape with Pete Best.
I wonder if it's twin track.
I seem to remember in Tune In Lewi says it was a mono session. So was Sept 4.
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Prob mono being an group audition? Why would you commit to a proper recording setup only to find they might not be suitable like any other hopefuls.
Unless that session progressed from a 1 track audition to a proper recording attempt based on the producers being changed over during the session.
Last edited by Megazeti on Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
RunoutGroove

Post by RunoutGroove »

Is there a better ref than The Scum newspaper. We don't read that.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

The story as I understand it is that this was one of many tapes routinely thrown out at Abbey Road to make room. According to Bazilnek they didn't reuse tapes. So the young Emerick found it in the trash and took it home. I also suspect that he anonymously donated Besame Mucho to the Sessions project in the mid 80s.

So the family are saying that becuase it was thrown away it belonged lawfully to Geoff, but UMG have different ideas. UMG only want it so bad to stop the family from exploiting it commercially (which theoretically they could do if the copyright has expired and they could prove ownership).