The Radio Luxembourg Collection

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lord Reith

The Radio Luxembourg Collection

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't know where this came from but it has a good few hours worth of interviews, including prolonged discussion about the White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be. Not always the best quality but very interesting and an essential companion to the later BBC volumes.

Image Image https://tinyurl.com/expires-july-25th

These are the notes that came with the set:

Fred Robbins recordings for his show "Assignment Hollywood"
Interviews with John, George & Paul, recorded at the Baroque Room, Plaza Hotel, New York, afternoon of 10th Feb 64, broadcast date unknown.
Studio (20:12)

Various interviews and soundbites recorded on the train from New York to Washington DC, afternoon of 11th Feb 64, broadcast date unknown.
Studio (11:32)
[Googling for info I found that as well as being on Radio Luxembourg, Fred Robbins show "Assignment Hollywood" was a 5-minute show broadcast in the US on 400 ABC affiliates.]

Interview by Chris Denning backstage at Hammersmith Odeon, 24-31 Dec 64
for the show "The Beatles", a 15 min show which aired for 42 weeks from 3rd Jan 65 - 17th Oct 65.
Studio (8:30)

Nassau, Bahamas, 9th March 1965 during filming of Help!, broadcast date unknown.
Interview with Ringo mainly & a few minutes of George.
Studio (26:33)

Dieter Weidenfeld (and Monika and Norbert) interviews for the German service of Radio Luxembourg
Twickenham Film Studios, late March/early April 1965 during filming of Help!, broadcast 11th April 1965.
Off-air or studio copy? (20:36)

Tony Macarthur interviews Paul at his home in St. John's Wood on 20th Nov 68 to promote the White Album, broadcast 21st Nov 68, 19:30-21:30.
Off-air (17:10)

Tony Macarthur interviews John & Yoko, late April/early May 1969 to promote "Unfinished Music No.2: Life With the Lions", broadcast 9th May 1969.
Off-air (26:42)

Kid Jensen interviews Ringo in Sept 69 to promote Abbey Road, broadcast 26th Sept 69, 12:30-2:05am.
Off-air (16:49)

Tony Macarthur interviews John in Sept 69 to promote Abbey Road, broadcast 27th Sept 69, 12:30-2:05am.
Studio (24:23).

Tony Macarthur interviews John & Yoko in Dec 69 to promote "Live Peace In Toronto", broadcast 12th Dec 69.
Composite of Studio & off-air (25:30)

Ringo is interviewed for the German service of Radio Luxembourg in March/April 1970 to promote "Sentimental Journey", broadcast 11th April 1970.
Off-air or poor quality studio copy? (16:46)

Tony Prince talk to John Lennon 1973 December 9th 1973 (26.42)
Last edited by Lord Reith on Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
beatlesaint

Re: The Radio Luxembourg Collection

Post by beatlesaint »

Many thanks, as ever LR :)
Peter77

Post by Peter77 »

Thank you!
Joel Nohn

Post by Joel Nohn »

Thank you, LR.

With Radio Luxemburg being a little less private than the BBC in keeping a vault (I assume!) - I wonder if these tapes still exist somewhere (if they weren’t broadcast live, obviously.)
glami

Post by glami »

Thank you!
Rondordrecht193

Post by Rondordrecht193 »

wow .... a very BIG thank you Lord!!!!
D-listener

Post by D-listener »

Wonderful=thanks for sharing, this looks great!
Sologui

Post by Sologui »

I thought that "Radio Tele Luxembourg" was only a French-speaking radio - Television, for the French territory (installed in Luxembourg, because of the control by the French government, at the time, of the radio and TV media)
But I think that was also the case in England, right?

Thank you again for this sharing Lord Reith
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Sologui wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:36 am I thought that "Radio Tele Luxembourg" was only a French-speaking radio - Television, for the French territory (installed in Luxembourg, because of the control by the French government, at the time, of the radio and TV media)
But I think that was also the case in England, right?

Thank you again for this sharing Lord Reith
No the Radio Luxembourg we listened to in the UK was an English language station transmitting from Lux into the UK originally to circumvent the fact that commercial radio wasnt allowed in the UK for quite some time. That ban was lifted in 1973 but the service continued until at least the eighties as I used to tune in of any evening in the late 70s and early 80s. As I remember it was broadcast on 208m at that time and they had a catchphrase at the turn of the decade...something like "listen to the two-ow-eighties on Radio Luxembourg".
Sologui

Post by Sologui »

Thanks Ian
So it was the same case as for France, the radio broadcast from Luxembourg