csnyfan's projects

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
csnyfan

Re: csnyfan's projects

Post by csnyfan »

I completely remade For No One Take 10 with the new demucs v4 & NMFToolbox, which allowed me to get a cleaner drums isolation and even push the echo of the snares back to the piano track. Also two more tracks I have only mentioned, but not posted before.
Revolver Companion v1
by csnyfan, January 2023

1966-04-22 Tomorrow Never Knows [Take 3 - Track 3 Jangle Piano]
Source: SDE (RM8, Atmos), CV RS, Anthology DVD offline mix
While Abbey Road's Jangle Piano did not make it to the final mixes of 'Paperback Writer' and 'A Day in the Life', it can be heard on the very end of Tomorrow Never Knows. Track 3 also contains the guitar solo, organ notes, a clean vocal and tambourine.

1966-04-26 And Your Bird Can Sing [Take 10 - Track 3 Vocal Overdub]
Source: SDE (Atmos), RB
Dry and complete vocals for the master take. The Atmos mix appears to have a tape wobble at 0:15 (the first 'me'), which I've left in for now.

1966-04-28 I'm Only Sleeping [Take 11 - Live Basic Track]
Source: SDE (Atmos, RM1), CV RS, Anthology DVD 5.1
In addition to a recorded rehearsal, two separate sessions produced attempts at backing tracks for this song. One with live vocals (1-5), the other purely instrumental (1-11, no 10). Take 5 as found on the SDE and the master take 11 both come from the instrumental session. Documentation is contradicting and sparse, but the instrumental session likely came later, perhaps in the early morning hours of the 28th. The performance was apparently more rehearsed compared to the vocal takes and they were experimenting with varispeed at that point. Take 5 is played in E minor in standard tuning, with the intent of slowing the recording down a semitone to E flat minor in the end. For take 11, they went all out to get the dreamy sound of the backing track: With a capo on the second fret, they played the same chords as in take 5. For the released mix, the tape was slowed down by 3 semitones to E flat minor. Aligning the pitch of the cymbals of take 5 and 11 revealed the original speed take 11 was played at.

1966-05-09 For No One [Take 10 - Live Basic Track]
Source: SDE
Stereo mix of tracks 2 (piano) & 3 (drums) only. Remixed from the SDE to remove tracks 1 (clavichord, maracas & hi-hat) as well as track bleed of 4 (vocal) from the intro. Patches the bad edit between two different transfers and mixes with different panning at 0:15.

1966-06-01 Yellow Submarine [Abbey Road Sound Effects Tape Vol 46 - Le Rêve Passe]
Source: Revolver - Painting in Sound (hosted by Kevin Howlett)
Unedited and in stereo, voiceover removed. First in its original key of B flat, then slowed down four semitones to G flat as heard on the record.
hxxps://we.tl/t-CK3a92ZoB0
BeatleGuy1949

Post by BeatleGuy1949 »

Thank You for sharing!!
miggynav

Post by miggynav »

Thanks for the Revolver Companion set!
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

Really great share csnyfan! I'm guessing it's possible for the full mix of Tomorrow Never Knows with cut in intro?
applebonkerz

Post by applebonkerz »

Thank you csnyfan, your work is always something I consider to be an essential download here.
Ants

Post by Ants »

Thanks a lot, as always!
You're great.

Maybe I'm the only one, but it would be great if a variation of Good Day Sunshine (like the basic live take, a different "elements" mix, etc.) could be made, since it's the only Revolver song we don't have an outtake/take of.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

zappaf78 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:23 pm Really great share csnyfan! I'm guessing it's possible for the full mix of Tomorrow Never Knows with cut in intro?
Not sure what you mean exactly? I was hoping to get the nearly complete overdub track 3 down the line.
Ants wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 pm Maybe I'm the only one, but it would be great if a variation of Good Day Sunshine (like the basic live take, a different "elements" mix, etc.) could be made, since it's the only Revolver song we don't have an outtake/take of.
it's on my to-do list. SlvrHmmrMn did one before the SDE came out - should be possible to improve on that with the Atmos mix and demucs v4.
zappaf78

Post by zappaf78 »

During the Anthology series, they filmed Paul George and Ringo hearing some tracks of outtakes. One of them was Tomorrow Never Knows take 3 (the audio of that source is in track 17 of the Complete Recording Sessions Vol 8). You can hear the raw intro which cuts in, the released mix fades in.
Ants

Post by Ants »

csnyfan wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:09 pm
Ants wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:04 pm Maybe I'm the only one, but it would be great if a variation of Good Day Sunshine (like the basic live take, a different "elements" mix, etc.) could be made, since it's the only Revolver song we don't have an outtake/take of.
it's on my to-do list. SlvrHmmrMn did one before the SDE came out - should be possible to improve on that with the Atmos mix and demucs v4.
That's great! :D
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thanks csnyfan !