The Secret Life of A Party Girl - Everything We Know

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Golem

The Secret Life of A Party Girl - Everything We Know

Post by Golem »

A few days ago on my beatlegs discord someone posted an image of a supposed audio sample for the song "The Secret Life of A Party Girl"

I've done a bunch of research on this, so I'd like to just share all the info I found on the track.

If anyone knows any more info, I'd love to know!

The History
In March of 2013 it was confirmed that Mark Ronson, a DJ at Paul's wedding had worked on 3 songs with him for the New album, two of these had been confirmed to be Alligator and New , but the other track was teased as "Life of a Party Girl"

Someone Steve Hoffman later noted "Maybe the Secret Life of a Party Girl was in fact Frank Sinatra's Party." but this can't be true due to the dates and studios this song was recorded, although maybe the track was reworked into Frank Sinatra's Party (although due to Frank Sinatras Party being written in the mid 70s, and Secret Life of a Party Girl being partly written by Mark Ronson, this also seems unlikely).

No news came from the songs until Sept 9th 2013, when MaccaReport reported a track list for the album, this site is sourced by multiple sites to be the source of the list.

When I emailed MaccaReport on how they found the tracklisting they stated
The song was on the Japanese release… but was removed when they released second edition.
I'm unsure if this is how they found the track listing in 2013, or if they simply googled the song and found the forum post I referenced.

The tracklist noted "The Secret Life of Party Girl" was 6:15, which matches exactly with the tracklisting for Get Me Out of Here medley on amazon uk (this will be important for later.), at this point, Paul still could have been considering the track, or perhaps it was an error.

On September 23rd the album had been posted on Amazon
- the US had Bonus tracks "Turned Out", "Get Me Out of Here", and "Scared" as a hidden track for Get Me Out Of Here (totaling 6:15 length)
- Japan had the same but also included the bonus track "Struggle"
- the UK had Bonus tracks "Scared" and "Secret Life of a Party Girl"

However, according to a forum post this UK tracklisting was changed on to the US tracks on Sept 25th, which leads us to believe Paul either quickly changed his mind, or more likely this was a mistake (maybe they did want unique editions in each country though), amazon often does make mistakes like these.

Which brings us back to this forum post about the audio sample. I've combed through wayback machine and can't find any reference to this sample. I have 3 ideas for what this forum user could be saying
1. The sample never existed on Amazon and this was a memory error
2. The sample did exist and has since been lost
and in my opinion the most likely
3. The user did hear a sample, but the sample wasn't for Secret Life of A Party Girl, it was for Get Me Out of Here, amazon had simply put the wrong name for the track, and this goes in line with what we know about them "having the same length", it also makes sense with him thinking the sample was incomplete, since Get Me Out of Here, especially the Amazon Sample, sounds very rough. Someone refuted this point, saying the forum user would surely know what Get Me Out of Here sounded like by the time he posted that comment, however enough time had pasted that I think its likely he forgot what that short low quality sample (which he noted he didn't even like) sounded like, you can hear the Get Me Out Of Here sample here.

(also to note, Secret Life of a Party Girl, IS NOT Get Me Out of Here, it was recorded with Giles Martin, so it can't be)

Hopefully, sometime in the future, we'll see this song, for now though, it looks likes it's lost. If anyone has any more information, I'd love to hear! I can't even find the Japanese Import he's referring to, I'd guess it was on Amazon UK, but it's surely removed now.

Update: getback69 has informed me that the song was about Whitney Houston, and Paul decided to can the song because of her death. Seeing as she died only a month after the song was recorded on Jan 2012, and the first we heard of the song was over a year later, I would say it appearing in track listing was always a mistake.
pegboy

Re: The Secret Life of A Party Girl - Everything We Know

Post by pegboy »

Golem wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:29 am Update: getback69 has informed me that the song was about Whitney Houston
Paul calls his wife Nancy a "party girl," so the song is probably about her.

'She's a party girl!' Paul McCartney, 75, gushes over wife Nancy Shevell, 57, and says that she's a 'music fan' who still comes to see him perform
atthebeeb

Post by atthebeeb »

I write here a couple of reports I read at the time:

11-04-2013 McCartney: Fake preview of Paul's new (untitled) album, featuring Bruce Springsteen, Eric Clapton, David Grohl, Pat Smear and Krist Novoselic
This is an anonymous post on a music site from a person (Concord Music Group employee or music critic?) who was given a preview of the tracks from Paul's upcoming album... Note that "Hosanna" is a song that has been rumored to be on Paul's next album. The album will probably be 12 songs with 3 bonus cuts... "Got a nice surprise yesterday when I visited the main office in Beverly Hills. They were allowing previews of albums possibly slated for the 3rd or 4th quarter of the year. I didn't have much time but I decided to listen to the tracks from the upcoming McCartney album...as of yet nameless. No cell phones or recording devices were allowed in the room but I was able to take some notes on the songs. There were 15 songs at this point but it is unknown how many will actually make the CD...."
01. "Loving You" - a piano ballad obviously about Nancy. Very touching lyrics "loving you is easy because of the way you make me feel". Ranks right up there with his piano love songs with some "Maybe I'm Amazed" like vocals as the song builds toward the end.
02. "Hosanna" - This is a beautiful acoustic ballad. Just a complete performance that wouldn't be out of place on McCartney or Ram lp's. This will undoubtedly be the first single. Produced by Mark Ronson.
03. "Eye Of The Storm"- an up tempo rocker with Bruce Springsteen on backing vocals and guitar. Never thought in a million years that I would like the combination of the two super stars but the song was amazing.
04. "Down the Road"- another rocker! It's very catchy with the Nirvana boys repaying the favor. David Grohl, Pat Smear and Krist Novoselic. If you like "Cut me some slack" then you'll love this one..hard driving rocker with a ripping vocal from Paul.
05. "Come With Me"- a heavy bass driven track. It seems that Mark Ronson and Paul were playing with some hip hop influenced beats. Weird combination for this mid tempo song but it strangely works.
06. "Life Of A Party Girl"- A song written during the Ronson sessions...Most definitely a b-side. Not a bad song but when placed along side the stronger songs, it does not measure up in my opinion.
07. "A Sparrow's Song"- another acoustic track with some very clever lyrics. Starts the song where you think he's talking about a bird but by the end of the song you find that it is about a young girl who has had some tough breaks in her life but over comes them.
08. "Sting of My Tears"- another rocker of a romance gone wrong, possibly about Heather . He sings "and all the times you mistreated me through the years does not lessen the sting of my tears" Great lead guitar part by Paul.
09. "Blue Skies" - This is a mid tempo love song...he says "in the reflection in your eyes I see nothing but blue skies. Not a bad song but not one of the stronger ones.
10. "Little Girl"- although her name is not mentioned, this one sounds like a song about his Beatrice as he talks about her growing before his eyes and his love for her. Very touching personal song.
11. "I Believe" - another one that sounds like experimenting with a hip hop influenced sounds but sounds very current. Surprisingly good. Mark Ronson track.
12. "All Of My Life"- another piano ballad...simply gorgeous song with a nice string quartet arrangement and a beautiful slide guitar by Eric Clapton.
13. "Blindside"- an up tempo 6 1/2 minute rocking instrumental with Paul on lead guitar, bass, drums and piano.
14. "Sunny Day"- a fun mid tempo acoustic song about enjoying a sunny day.
15. "April Fool's Day" - this one reminds me of Mr Bellamy and English Tea...a very weird piano riff with extremely quirky but smart lyrics. This one shows Paul's sense of humor. He says "I am sorry to say that it's just a belated April Fool's Day."
atthebeeb

Post by atthebeeb »

07-09-2013 McCartney: NEW - From MPL ...
October 14th (15th in the US) will see the release of Paul’s first album of brand NEW solo material in six years. Today the tracklisting has been revealed:
1 Save Us (produced by Paul Epworth) 2:39 Album track
2 Alligator (produced by Mark Ronson) 3:27 Album track
3 On My Way To Work (produced by Giles Martin) 3:43 Album track
4 Queenie Eye (produced by Paul Epworth) 3:48 Album track
5 Early Days (produced by Ethan Johns) 4:07 Album track
6 New (produced by Mark Ronson) 2:56 Album track and single
7 Appreciate (produced by Giles Martin) 4:28 Album track
8 Everybody Out There (produced by Giles Martin) 3:21 Album track
9 Hosanna (produced by Ethan Johns) 3:29 Album track
10 I Can Bet (produced by Giles Martin) 3:21 Album track
11 Looking At Her (produced by Giles Martin) 3:05 Album track
12 Road (produced by Giles Martin) 4:36 Album track
- bonus tracks
13. Turned Out (produced by Ethan Johns with additional production by Giles Martin)
14. Get Me Out Of Here (produced by Giles Martin)
three bonus tracks are going to be added to the Japanese edition of Macca's "New" album. Tower Records' website there lists the same bonus tracks:
13. Turned Out (produced by ETHAN JOHNS with additional production by GILES MARTIN)
14. Get Me Out Of Here (produced by Giles Martin)
15. Struggle (produced by GILES MARTIN)
- more bonus tracks
13 Scared 2:59 Bonus track
14 Secret Life of a Party Girl 6:15 Bonus track
Executive Producer: Giles Martin
Mixed by Mark ‘Spike’ Stent
Total Running Time: 46:11
Talking about the album, Paul said: “It's funny, when I play people the album they’re surprised it’s me. A lot of the tracks are quite varied and not necessarily in a style you'd recognise as mine. I didn't want it to all sound the same. I really enjoyed making this album. It's always great to get a chance to get into the studio with a bunch of new songs and I was lucky to work with some very cool producers. We had a lot of fun”. Paul worked on the album with producers Paul Epworth, Mark Ronson, Ethan Johns and Giles Martin. Commenting on the process, Paul said: “The original idea was to go to a couple of producers whose work I loved, to see who I got on with best - but it turned out I got on with all of them! We made something really different with each producer, so I couldn’t choose and ended up working with all four. We just had a good time in different ways”. The album was recorded at Henson Recording Studios, Los Angeles; Avatar Studios, New York; Abbey Road Studios, London; Air Studios, London; Wolf Tone Studios, London and Hog Hill Mill, East Sussex.
Unconfirmed reports circulating, list a total of 22 tracks recorded for Macca's "New" album. So far 16 have been placed on various editions of NEW in different countries.

Unverified tracks:
“Secret Life of a Party Girl”, “Build a Bridge”, “Demons Dance”, “Seventees With A Twist”, “Hell To Pay”, “T'was But A Dream”. “T'was But A Dream” was the remake an old unreleased track known with the title “By Night Dark Clouds”.
dk2600

Post by dk2600 »

Copyrighted 2013-09-11 By Night Dark Clouds https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr ... 336&SID=19
and Demons Dance
https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr ... 702&SID=51
and Hell To Pay
https://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebr ... 612&SID=49
and many more unpublished songs are found at the library.