Usenet Beatles posts (tons of)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
aslak

Re: Usenet Beatles posts (tons of)

Post by aslak »

Thanks. I'm going to go with my gut and steer well clear. Even if something is properly labelled, I am still wary.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

Just to second what Lon Chaney III has shared, I have used newsleecher and giganews for years with great results. Like any new system, it takes a little use to understand, but once you get the hang of it, it's great.

Dave in Nashville
cybermedios

Post by cybermedios »

Lon Chaney III
Please, can you recommend me a good site to access and download usenet files?
I signed up for a service called "Usenext" 2 years ago and it was a very bad decision. I just threw my money away.

You must know a lot about usenet, which everyone passes by nowadays.
Cybermedios (a.k.a. lappin7 in bootlegzone)
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

aslak wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 am For example, this is from alt.binaries.beatles: 98045ed0dce14ffab4cc3d57c607e982 (17/41) "98045ed0dce14ffab4cc3d57c607e982.part16.rar" yEnc
I wouldn't touch that file with a bargepole. It won't be Beatles. (I notice it has 'fab4' among the jumble of letters which is probably a lucky coincidence). It won't be anything good, possibly even something illegal. If you get curious and wonder what's in one of those files you'll find it has a password and there's no way of finding a password.
Davenicks

Post by Davenicks »

Egg_Crisis wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:24 am
aslak wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:16 am For example, this is from alt.binaries.beatles: 98045ed0dce14ffab4cc3d57c607e982 (17/41) "98045ed0dce14ffab4cc3d57c607e982.part16.rar" yEnc
I wouldn't touch that file with a bargepole. It won't be Beatles. (I notice it has 'fab4' among the jumble of letters which is probably a lucky coincidence). It won't be anything good, possibly even something illegal. If you get curious and wonder what's in one of those files you'll find it has a password and there's no way of finding a password.
I think there is some misunderstanding here. The vast majority of legitimate files on usenet are named to clearly indicate what they are; files like your example may mean something to someone who has a decryption key but not to me. You pick what you are interested in. I can't imagine why anyone would download a file if they don't know what it is. I believe that is commonly known as "asking for trouble".

Dave in Nashville
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Davenicks wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:42 pmI think there is some misunderstanding here. The vast majority of legitimate files on usenet are named to clearly indicate what they are; files like your example may mean something to someone who has a decryption key but not to me. You pick what you are interested in. I can't imagine why anyone would download a file if they don't know what it is. I believe that is commonly known as "asking for trouble".
No misunderstanding. Files named as a bunch of random letters and numbers won't be Beatles, they'll be trouble, a conclusion you yourself came to at the end of your post!

Some newsgroups have a small number of these, some are absolutely swamped by them so much so that the real posters have been driven away or moved to other ng's.
Lon Chaney III

Post by Lon Chaney III »

cybermedios wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:28 pm Lon Chaney III
I signed up for a service called "Usenext" 2 years ago and it was a very bad decision. I just threw my money away.

What you need is a usenet server service i.e. newshosting, usenetserver and others. They are premium services in that you pay for a monthly (or annual) subscription. Each of the above and others all store usenet posts (binary and text) for 'x' number of years. They will give you a server name to connect to via a newsreader and then you access and download files through your newsreader. I explained in a bit more depth in the original post so have a look there. To sum up, what you need is:

A premium news service
A usenet newsreader

Usenet downloads are often faster than downloading from a hoster like rapidgator or mediafire etc. Plus usenet posts are typically available for over 10 years via a premium news service.

You can do a search for reviews of services and newsreaders, that will be a real help in getting going.
cybermedios

Post by cybermedios »

Lon Chaney III wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:41 am
cybermedios wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:28 pm Lon Chaney III

What you need is a usenet server service i.e. newshosting, usenetserver and others. They are premium services in that you pay for a monthly (or annual) subscription. Each of the above and others all store usenet posts (binary and text) for 'x' number of years. They will give you a server name to connect to via a newsreader and then you access and download files through your newsreader. I explained in a bit more depth in the original post so have a look there. To sum up, what you need is:

A premium news service
A usenet newsreader

Usenet downloads are often faster than downloading from a hoster like rapidgator or mediafire etc. Plus usenet posts are typically available for over 10 years via a premium news service.

You can do a search for reviews of services and newsreaders, that will be a real help in getting going.
Thanks a lot, Lon Chaney III
¡Very helpful post¡ :!:
Cybermedios (a.k.a. lappin7 in bootlegzone)
stevenbarrett

Post by stevenbarrett »

So, I spend a lot of time on Usenet and those posts with jumbles of letters and numbers usually aren't trouble - they're just not what you want. A lot of private indexing sites (the kind you need to have an invite to be part of) will post endless amounts of movies, shows, programs, etc. They tend to not post them in obvious groups and they will spread out the files across numerous groups. That way, it's nearly impossible for anyone to know what it is and assemble it unless you happen to have the nzb download file from that private group. Who knows, maybe that file posted above was part 3 of 68 of BBC2's Gardener's World and the other 67 parts are strewn across the usenet.

Most, if not all, of the people who post actual boots to the actual alt.binaries.beatles... groups label them accordingly. Just use a good usenet server/interface like NewsHosting and grab the goodies and leave what you can't recognise.