John Lennon - "I heard the news today, oh boy" [9 December 1980]

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
spinalcrackerbox_76

John Lennon - "I heard the news today, oh boy" [9 December 1980]

Post by spinalcrackerbox_76 »

I had created this from my cassette masters & shared it previously on thetradersden (I am also 1bgsky) and since old radio recordings are hot right now - and rightly so, I thought I'd offer it here as well.

I'm sure there's some blokes somewhere who have whole radio programs and live concerts preserved on r2r's & cassettes & whatnot but how much of that is being circulated despite more channels to do so than ever. An acquaintance of mine for 20+ years just keeled over dead this week, so another reminder that our lives [and recording media] won't last forever. Share it now.

From the info text I had created:

AFN & German News reports recorded on December 9th & later. This is an audio time capsule of one of the worst days of my life.
In order to cope, I started taping the news & the special programs popping up everywhere.

AFN = American Forces Network, the only English language radio station on my dial.

Lineage: Radio receiver - cassette - eMu1212 - WaveLab - SF Audio Cleaning Lab - tlh
Except: Track 26: Internet download

From my own tape archive. Never shared before. Be warned, this is a rather fragmented listen and can be upsetting.
These news segments are between <1 minute and 4:36 mins. long. Quality is VG - VG++

01. December 8th 1980 [JL - Dave Sholin intro, taken from The Man, The Memory radio special]
I thought we should start (and end) with hearing John's voice. This was the last topic recorded for this interview.

02. AFN News # 1 (fan interview, killer, UK editorial, ex-Beatles reaction, YO brother, fans outside Dakota)
03. AFN News # 2 (killer in court, Reagan comment, album sales)
04. AFN News # 3 (killer, fan interv., RKO interview excerpt, YO brother, GM quote)
05. AFN News # 4 (George Martin reaction, Dr. Linn, killer, Playboy mag. interview quote)
06. AFN News # 5 (killer, police + on scene report)
07. AFN News # 6 (fan interviews, hospital report, audio outside Dakota, killer, Bruce Morrow, UK report)
08. AFN News # 7 (killer, YO statement)
09. AFN News # 8 (w. hospital press conference excerpt) - uses recycled elements

This AFN special is nothing to write home about but this may be the only surviving recording of it on the planet.
Each segment is only up to 1:30 long and this is of course not complete and fragmented. All music has been removed. Quality is VG+

10. JL Special - Segment 1 - narrated by AF Seargent Rick Delyle
11. JL Special - Segment 2
12. JL Special - Segment 3
13. JL Special - Segment 4
14. JL Special - Segment 5
15. JL Special - Segment 6

OK, now stuff in German. Quality is excellent (except 21. & 22).

16. German National TV News 1
17. German National TV News 2
18. German National TV News 3
19. German radio news (unknown station)
20. German radio station news # 2
21. Bavaria Radio 3
22. SWR 3 program
23. SWF 3 # 2
24. SWR 3 complete
25. TV Special overdubbed in German (it's like a mind movie, even those who don't understand German can enjoy this) 10:35

26. Well Well Well (Baby, please don't go) [take 2] recorded February 11th, 1971
This most excellent quality outtake was unreleased and unbootlegged when it appeared in 2018. It may still be.
It's fantastic and I thought I don't have anywhere else to put this plus f*ck it, let's end on a high after all that depressing stuff.

hxxps://mega.nz/folder/srolRSSA#VjyLcV6o2VF2qUju9giWRw
r9453

Re: John Lennon - "I heard the news today, oh boy" [9 December 1980]

Post by r9453 »

Thank you.
Bob Dylan
LB Cloud
loserlist69

Post by loserlist69 »

Thanks for sharing.
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Thank you spinalcrackerbox, I did the same thing in a way except rather than record an audio time capsule, i saved every single newspaper (not clippings, but the entire local newspapers), tabloid, magazine, all printed material I saw... it was a bit cathartic for me, and to this day I still have the box where it's all stored. Very gracious of you to share this, and I'm thankful to you.
—Keith
astronaut

Post by astronaut »

Thanks for sharing
Lbrow65

Post by Lbrow65 »

A very gracious share. Thank you.
spinalcrackerbox_76

Post by spinalcrackerbox_76 »

Thanks everyone, for their feedback so far & you're most welcome.
Egg_Crisis

Post by Egg_Crisis »

Thanks for the upload. I may as well add these here. I've posted them before (10 years ago) but they'll maybe be new for some people.

News reports the day after John Lennon's death

BBC Radio 2, 1980.12.09

01 Jimmy Young talks to author Hunter Davies (somewhere between 10:00am & 12:00) (8:24)
02 Mid-day News read by Tim Gudgin (1:29)
03 David Hamilton special tribute (12:30pm) (18:30)
04 News read by Tim Gudgin (1:38)
05 News feature including comments by George Martin, Harold Wilson,
a clip from Lennon's Andy Peebles interview, Cilla Black (5:51)
06 Music (7:35)

Length - 43:30

reel(off-air master) > cassette > Soundforge(EQ to take out a loud hum)
Track 1 is poor quality for the first 3 minutes.
Recorded by someone who was still using reel in 1980!

Code: Select all

hxxps://mega.nz/#!ybg2TBxQ!6kEyDVkqM7AL43jbKwEoub4W48f5ek_Z20YQL29oFZ4

I found that one on a reel. This next one is two full sides of a c90 I received in a trade and I don't accurately know what it is, so if anyone has any info to add please do...

Beatles/John Lennon Documentary - Capital Radio or Radio One, early 1981

Part 1 covers 28.10.61 - 12. 6.65
Part 2 covers xx. 8.66 - xx.10.75

In the intro the mention of "December 9th" (but no year) means this had to have been broadcast within a year of John's death, so probably early'81.

The tape was labelled as Capital Radio, but the inclusion of Radio 1 DJ Alan Freeman makes me think it's more likely to be from Radio 1. Also Capital Radio would have had commercials every 15 minutes or so, and there's no noticeable edits where the tape's been stopped & restarted to miss out any commercials.

Also notice the montage of clips at the end of side 2 of the tape, like it's the end of the documentary. Things have only reached Oct'75 at this point, so I'm thinking maybe it's a documentary that was originally broadcast in late'75, then rebroadcast in early'81 with the added intro. Alternatively the tape could represent the first 2 episodes of a 3-part series with part 3 covering 1975-1980.

Code: Select all

hxxps://mega.nz/#!GLwwmD5b!2mNWkY03FalXtnaPukWthT_mDqkIZP6wYtqx8M4tMxc
cybermedios

Post by cybermedios »

spinal and egg, thanks a lot for share this treasure¡
Cybermedios (a.k.a. lappin7 in bootlegzone)
harrythebannister

Post by harrythebannister »

Thanks to you both for these gems....hard to listen to but great to have!