HAVE YOU HEARD THE WORD? 1969 Beatles Bootleg Song in STEREO

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Lord Reith

Re: HAVE YOU HEARD THE WORD? 1969 Beatles Bootleg Song in STEREO

Post by Lord Reith »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:55 am
Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:13 am Another spurious track I love is "Bye Bye Bye" real title Nice Time by Kenny Everett. Fans laboured for YEARS trying to work out what that was! Even as late as 1990 I can remember Belmos putting a bounty on the song and offering a free book to anyone who could work out what it was.
I've got a real nice recording of that now where I removed all the vinyl noises, and it's just like new.
Ohhh could you share that please? I'm sure its Beatles connection would qualify it for this board.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
Roller74

Post by Roller74 »

Hi all, love all these misidentified tracks, l.s bumble, people say/I'm walking, nice time and of course have you heard, but my favourite is penny o dell, or homecoming queen, just a great song, a question though, why were none of these songs hits, I don't think any of them made any charts anywhere, but some were decent enough singles, word and penny especially, as the old song goes, very strange
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Thank you :mrgreen: Volker
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Just the act of collecting rarities was a huge task in the 70s and 80s. There were few books of any use. I can rememeber a cassette I compiled out of probably a dozen or more boots which I was so proud of, and thinking back now it seems so pathetic. It had lots of things like Those Were The days (the busked John version), the I Want You "acetate", those horrible sounding takes from the Sessions "boardroom tapes" , Bye Bye Bye, Have You Heard The Word, partial songs recorded covertly at the Abbey Road Show and all that sort of stuff. When you think of what we have today, it's funny to think that we once got so excited over this stuff. But I guess it was because it was super-rare and secret and very hard to obtain and that amplified its enjoyablity. And in the end, I guess that's what really matters. It made us all very happy. If I'm honest, it was probably more exciting then to find a 30 second scrap of The Beatles busking a song than the entire Revolver SDE is now. Being able to go out and buy it anywhere along with a million other people diminishes it somehow.
beatles2me

Post by beatles2me »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:58 pm Just the act of collecting rarities was a huge task in the 70s and 80s. There were few books of any use. I can rememeber a cassette I compiled out of probably a dozen or more boots which I was so proud of, and thinking back now it seems so pathetic. It had lots of things like Those Were The days (the busked John version), the I Want You "acetate", those horrible sounding takes from the Sessions "boardroom tapes" , Bye Bye Bye, Have You Heard The Word, partial songs recorded covertly at the Abbey Road Show and all that sort of stuff. When you think of what we have today, it's funny to think that we once got so excited over this stuff. But I guess it was because it was super-rare and secret and very hard to obtain and that amplified its enjoyablity. And in the end, I guess that's what really matters. It made us all very happy. If I'm honest, it was probably more exciting then to find a 30 second scrap of The Beatles busking a song than the entire Revolver SDE is now. Being able to go out and buy it anywhere along with a million other people diminishes it somehow.
I have to totally agree with you here. The anticipation and possession of a few titles from the studio made us happy and content, anticipating a wide snippet soon. Lord Reith, you speak my mind, THANK YOU!! :mrgreen: Volker
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:55 am
mojofilter wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:55 am I've got a real nice recording of that now where I removed all the vinyl noises, and it's just like new.
Ohhh could you share that please? I'm sure its Beatles connection would qualify it for this board.
I've had a look in my database and drives, and the pristine version I had went away in the Crash of '17. The best version I have now is on "Four Nights In Moscow," which seems to be missing the opening note. Sorry I can't help out here.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

beatles2me wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:05 am
I have to totally agree with you here. The anticipation and possession of a few titles from the studio made us happy and content, anticipating a wide snippet soon. Lord Reith, you speak my mind, THANK YOU!! :mrgreen: Volker
But oh so expensive a hobby! But it was very exciting coming across a new fragment we weren't supposed to hear.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

mojofilter wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:26 am I've had a look in my database and drives, and the pristine version I had went away in the Crash of '17. The best version I have now is on "Four Nights In Moscow," which seems to be missing the opening note. Sorry I can't help out here.
That's okay, no worries. Thanks for checking.
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:39 am I'm embarassed to say I've always loved this song. It's clearly meant as a respectful tongue-in-cheek attempt at a Lennon tune. As good as anything The Rutles (or Oasis) did.
in the late 80s early 90s I go downtown Toronto to record shops the owner knew me well I go down visit family and save stuff for myself.....

one day pull out this record and said you like this it got full BBC shows and "some odd Lennon stuff"
it was a copy of Spicy Beatles Songs it was on Maxwell's label:

https://www.discogs.com/release/8182802 ... tles-Songs
(I like what they did in this label layout sadly never found more)

I when heard I said myself this cool my buddy copy to tape and play it a lot as time went by I started noticing it less and less sounded like Lennon...
after I found out the truth it was kinda more interesting and funny

so you are not alone it is nice have the full version as Spicy Beatles Songs version edited I think
Chris
WOA76

Post by WOA76 »

mojofilter wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:48 am I love it, too, especially since I know now that Kipner and Groves gave up on it and went home. Then Maurice and Billy stayed behind and got plastered and this was the result. I also love how somebody spirited the tape out of the studio and gave it to a guy who said, "I'll make records of that!"
Right very entertaining after you know story
also, wasn't Maurice on painkillers and had a broken leg ???
Chris