Unicorn - Lost/Unreadable Discs + Newer Titles

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Gringo557

Re: Unicorn - Lost/Unreadable Discs + Newer Titles

Post by Gringo557 »

MrP wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:05 pm this is what I have

Acetate Collection & Vol. 2 & Vol. 3 [Unicorn Records UC-087-143-145]
https://dereferer.me/?ohl_jD79ozbyrJ4ZA ... Pg8owr4LAj

Gringo557 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:34 pm Anybody know about or have an "Acetate Collection, Volume 1" on Unicorn?
Your link has Volumes 1, 2 and 3—Great! Thank you so much!!!
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

Thanks MrP......
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

MrP wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:05 pm this is what I have

Acetate Collection & Vol. 2 & Vol. 3 [Unicorn Records UC-087-143-145]
https://dereferer.me/?ohl_jD79ozbyrJ4ZA ... Pg8owr4LAj

Gringo557 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:34 pm Anybody know about or have an "Acetate Collection, Volume 1" on Unicorn?
Thank you MrP.
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

With the resurrection of this thread I'm still looking for the following if anyone can help:

UC-073/074 McCartney - Live At Wembley Arena (I have an incomplete copy)Many thanks
UC-089 McCartney - Live At The Cavern Club - SFX Radio Network
UC-160 Beatles - The Beatles In Gloucestershire
UC-178 Beatles - Studio Sessions
UC-181-182 Beatles - Radio Archives

Many thanks.
ntwined88

Post by ntwined88 »

I have Studio Collection UC-076 which as far as I can tell is identical to Studio Collection UC-178
https://www.discogs.com/release/4216332 ... Collection

beatlesnyttigt

Post by beatlesnyttigt »

UC 178 was made in 2017, and US 076 in 2000, so maybe they have made some improvements? I only have the 2000 version.

Thanks a lot MrP for Acetates Vol 3 :D Robert
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

I read somewhere that the newer release (UC-178) was somehow tweaked and sounded better (subjective, I guess, and I couldn't say for sure since I haven't heard it). Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can opine.
ntwined88 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:48 pm I have Studio Collection UC-076 which as far as I can tell is identical to Studio Collection UC-178
https://www.discogs.com/release/4216332 ... Collection

mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Hi, you all: I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'd like for you to be aware that most of the Unicorn CDs have DC offset. This is because they were made using the $4 sound card chip that came with Mr. Unicorn's computer. DC offset is direct current that either makes your woofers push out and stay there, or pull in and stay there, depending on where, and how far above or below the center line of a waveform it sits. I have yet to see a Unicorn CD that didn't have DC offset. It won't wreck your stereo, but properly mastered sound files don't have any DC offset at all. If you have software that can correct for that, my advice would be to run each of these discs through it, and resave each track. Happy collecting!

P.S. I see above where he re-bootlegged one of his CDs that I fixed up. UC-178 has my wording at the bottom of the rear scan: "Pitch, phase and levels corrected from..."
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
paulramon

Post by paulramon »

Thanks for the info, mojo. It's great to have people like you that a) know what they're talking bout, and b) do fabulous work and share that work with us.

Did you do an RMW version of the original Unicorn that he/she ripped off and re-issued? If so, can you share it here?
mojofilter wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 4:31 am Hi, you all: I don't want to rain on your parade, but I'd like for you to be aware that most of the Unicorn CDs have DC offset. This is because they were made using the $4 sound card chip that came with Mr. Unicorn's computer. DC offset is direct current that either makes your woofers push out and stay there, or pull in and stay there, depending on where, and how far above or below the center line of a waveform it sits. I have yet to see a Unicorn CD that didn't have DC offset. It won't wreck your stereo, but properly mastered sound files don't have any DC offset at all. If you have software that can correct for that, my advice would be to run each of these discs through it, and resave each track. Happy collecting!

P.S. I see above where he re-bootlegged one of his CDs that I fixed up. UC-178 has my wording at the bottom of the rear scan: "Pitch, phase and levels corrected from..."
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

I did a handful of these things. I remember him reposting some of them where he felt compelled to say on the covers that they were free from any pitch or phase or level correction. I seem to have royally pissed off an amateur desktop bootlegger, boo fuckin' hoo. I will have a look through my catalogue, and prepare to send in what I have on Sunday. If you don't want me to have to redo your work, don't submit garbage as the thing your reputation rides on. Because that says more about you than it does me.

Please note that I have never had to redo any of the work of the fine people who post here, or used to post on BZ. My issue has been with "big" labels who had no professional engineers on staff. I redo Yellow Dog, Vigotone and other labels pressed in factories for mass consumption. Not the guys here who work on stuff and send it in here for our enjoyment. These guys know what they're doing.

Thank you for holding my skills in some esteem. I really appreciate it.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.