2009 remasters vs DESS

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Rockclassics

Re: 2009 remasters vs DESS

Post by Rockclassics »

Patrick Healy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:47 pm
The Black Triangle is the Japanese release, but it needs to be deemphasized properly when ripped.

A properly deemphasized Black Triangle Abbey Road rip is, as far as I can tell, harder to find than a rip with the preemphasis left on, so PM me if you want a properly deemphasized rip.
What is the secret to properly deemphasizing the Abbey Road Black Triangle disc?
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

Another quick question. I bought all the 1987/88 Beatles CD releases in the UK on the release dates. It was mentioned earlier about WTB glitches. Were any of these glitches fixed on later pressings of the CDs?
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

I think so but I can't personally verify that
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Rockclassics wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:16 am
Patrick Healy wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:47 pm
The Black Triangle is the Japanese release, but it needs to be deemphasized properly when ripped.

A properly deemphasized Black Triangle Abbey Road rip is, as far as I can tell, harder to find than a rip with the preemphasis left on, so PM me if you want a properly deemphasized rip.
What is the secret to properly deemphasizing the Abbey Road Black Triangle disc?
No idea but someone else did it and it sounds lovely to me so I'm assuming they're right! :lol:
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Krussell2021 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:24 pm I have a couple of very noddy questions. Is the Black Triangle Abbey Road CD referring to the early 80s Japanese official release?

Also, are the Canadian wrong pressings of Help! and Rubber Soul taken from the same masters as the 2009 versions that were included on the mono discs? If not, is it worth trying to find the Canadian issues and, if so, how easy are they to find and what do I need to look out for, in order to get the correct ones.

Many thanks.
Yes to the first question. But like some other early cds it had treble pre-emphasis which is meant to be compensated for by the player. Since this is now obsolete no player will do de-emphasis any more. So it has to be done by software.

The Canadian cds of Help and RS came about in 1990 when they started to be manufactured in Canada instead of being imported. The plant requested master tapes, and were wrongly sent the earlier 65 mixes by Capitol. They were also sent alternate tape transfers of With the Beatles and one other I can't remember, plus a version of Revolver which is the same as the usual 87 cd but without the early fades. That Revolver is deffo worth seeking out as well as Help and RS. WTB sounds virtually the same as the regular version .
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Lord Reith wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:17 am
Krussell2021 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:24 pm I have a couple of very noddy questions. Is the Black Triangle Abbey Road CD referring to the early 80s Japanese official release?

Also, are the Canadian wrong pressings of Help! and Rubber Soul taken from the same masters as the 2009 versions that were included on the mono discs? If not, is it worth trying to find the Canadian issues and, if so, how easy are they to find and what do I need to look out for, in order to get the correct ones.

Many thanks.
Yes to the first question. But like some other early cds it had treble pre-emphasis which is meant to be compensated for by the player. Since this is now obsolete no player will do de-emphasis any more. So it has to be done by software.

The Canadian cds of Help and RS came about in 1990 when they started to be manufactured in Canada instead of being imported. The plant requested master tapes, and were wrongly sent the earlier 65 mixes by Capitol. They were also sent alternate tape transfers of With the Beatles and one other I can't remember, plus a version of Revolver which is the same as the usual 87 cd but without the early fades. That Revolver is deffo worth seeking out as well as Help and RS. WTB sounds virtually the same as the regular version .
According to the matrix numbers and also the tray back covers that bear only the Parlophone logo ( and not a combination of Parlophone logos), the first pressings by Disque Americ are from the end of 1987 and very early 1988. The ones from 1990 have different matrix numbers AND have the combined logos. Starting at the end of 1990 they also added the EMI logo which slowly superseded the other two logos with the years.
Yves
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

Thank you LR for that excellent explanation. Are there any ups of the Disque Americ CDs that collectors should have. Earlier ups have all expired. Thanks.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Oh yeah, the other different Canadian cd was AHDN. Same mono mix but a different tape transfer.