2009 remasters vs DESS

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Norm Deplume

Re: 2009 remasters vs DESS

Post by Norm Deplume »

Jukka wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 pm I dig the 1987 CD versions because they don't have NR.
They don't have *digital* noise reduction, but analog noise gates and filters were used on Abbey Road. This was talked about by the engineers in one of the early 1987-8 interviews.

Norm
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Norm Deplume wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:35 am
Jukka wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 pm I dig the 1987 CD versions because they don't have NR.
They don't have *digital* noise reduction, but analog noise gates and filters were used on Abbey Road.
And that is why we use the Black Triangle CD so much!
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Yeah the Black Triangle (de-emphasised) for Abbey Road. Although the 87 is very good too.
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

I have a couple of very noddy questions. Is the Black Triangle Abbey Road CD referring to the early 80s Japanese official release?

Also, are the Canadian wrong pressings of Help! and Rubber Soul taken from the same masters as the 2009 versions that were included on the mono discs? If not, is it worth trying to find the Canadian issues and, if so, how easy are they to find and what do I need to look out for, in order to get the correct ones.

Many thanks.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Krussell2021 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:24 pm I have a couple of very noddy questions. Is the Black Triangle Abbey Road CD referring to the early 80s Japanese official release?

Also, are the Canadian wrong pressings of Help! and Rubber Soul taken from the same masters as the 2009 versions that were included on the mono discs? If not, is it worth trying to find the Canadian issues and, if so, how easy are they to find and what do I need to look out for, in order to get the correct ones.

Many thanks.
The Black Triangle is the Japanese release, but it needs to be deemphasized properly when ripped.
The Disque Americ CDs are different masters from the 2009s of those mixes, yes, and Revolver is a different master (I think?) and With the Beatles a marginally different tape transfer on the Disque Americ discs.
A properly deemphasized Black Triangle Abbey Road rip is, as far as I can tell, harder to find than a rip with the preemphasis left on, so PM me if you want a properly deemphasized rip.
The Disque Americ discs are commonly found including on this board.
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

Many thanks. Pointer to links for the Disque Americ discs would be very much appreciated. The DB doesn't want me to search for the words Disque Americ. Thanks.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Krussell2021 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:24 pm I have a couple of very noddy questions. Is the Black Triangle Abbey Road CD referring to the early 80s Japanese official release?

Many thanks.
I don’t agree with you that Help! & Rubber Soul were wrong pressings, they were actually the original UK mix from 1965 and 1966, not the George Martin remix made in 1987 for the first CD editions.
Incidentally I had all of them on Disque Americ pressings but was stupid enough to get rid of them when at the beginning of the 2000’s I sold my entire CD collection to make room in my new flat.
I managed to buy all of them in the past few years, many of them are first pressings and have no other logos than Parlophone. Some of them were relatively easy to find and at reasonable prices. The hardest to find was a RS first pressing which cost me an arm and a leg compared to the others. And you’ll understand I don’t share these.
Yves
Krussell2021

Post by Krussell2021 »

I used the incorrect word when I wrote 'wrong' pressing. What I meant was that it was not what EMI intended to be released in 1987.
RalseiDeltarune

Post by RalseiDeltarune »

I think both the 2009 and the DESS masters sound pretty good. I don't agree with shutting down the DESS label because of the 2009s, though. I believe that archiving these different pressings is important to the Beatlegging community, otherwise we wouldn't have readily available copies of the German MMT Pressing, The Australian Half-Speed Pressing of Sgt. Pepper's or the 1987 Canadian Rubber Soul CD. Especially since the 1965 stereos of H! & RS aren't available on streaming and are only available through a very expensive box set..
Interested in any/all Bootlegs. Sometimes I make my own.

Catalog is posted here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2649