Who owns the music on early Beatles acetates?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
stereoman33

Re: Who owns the music on early Beatles acetates?

Post by stereoman33 »

Yes I understand that if you paid for it and don’t want it released then thats fine.
But they sold it later on?
That seems like all claims to exclusivity have just gone out the window, because they no longer have money tied up in
It. They no longer own it, or have money in it.

Anyway regardless of the semantics, Somebody already put it out .. whether its the new owner or one of the unknown previous owners, or someone not involved at all who has had access to a tape copy, we will never know.
And so its extremely wrong to get stuck into mojofilter who is trying to do the right thing by everyone.
And its been put on YouTube twice , once seven years sgo and once eight years ago and is still there .
Its been played on at least 2 radio shows that you can still access and download
And finally both mixes of the acetate have been on a pirate website for many years.
This is so common that there are now stereo DES mixes of it being played on a Boston Radio station!
In short theres nothing rare about it as its been leaked for years by persons unknown
Last edited by stereoman33 on Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

Come on guys, don't dredge this stuff up again. Mojo has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't intend to post the B-side no matter what may have leaked elsewhere. Whether he should or shouldn't is irrelevant - he's made his mind up.

If people want to post any other versions out there that have appeared in public then by all means do so, but let''s not allow this thread to go down the path of a courtroom drama. This isn't the place for that.
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 am If people want to post any other versions out there that have appeared in public then by all means do so, but let''s not allow this thread to go down the path of a courtroom drama. This isn't the place for that.
And furthermore, I would like to alert the court, in advance, that even if I win this case, I intend to appeal the verdict!

And, that was when the chaos began! I found the locked thread that began this unhappiness. I have edited this comment based on THAT thread. It is admirable that a total goal was reached by an investment team who realized their original objective and also that some of them are among us. How awesome! I salute the team. Now, I doubt that I could cope with the pressure of any business partnership. But, I commend those who can. Nevertheless, I would presume ALL acetates get recorded before they are sold. That means, posting the material in question on YouTube might have been an act of treason. But, it doesn't mean that it was. How many owned the acetate before the 'tontine'? I really liked the version linked by Mark R Jones. Then, I was confused about what we were actually hearing. See Q & A below:

(MarkRJones1970): Is this one of them? I really like the strings on this!
(Mojofilter): No, that's the released version. The acetate we're discussing is of an earlier version with different musicians.
(MarkRJones1970): So it's not a 'very rare early version'?
(Mojofilter): This is the first version as first disseminated in the podcast where Peter Asher was being interviewed. That's side 1 of the acetate but from tape source and from an mp3 of that. You can hear some room sound at the very beginning.

(20YearsAgo said:) The acetate sold for perhaps $2,000.00. <------(this was supposedly Paul's first-ever drumming session work.)

(Mojofilter): While it was in my possession, it was put up for auction on eBay, and was bought by a person in Austria. When I was done with it, I posted the disc to the board, but it was available only to people who had contributed cash to its purchase. Then I sent it on to a purchaser in Austria.

So, it sounds like $2,000.00 was paid and when you were finished recording it, You sold it to a person in Austria. How much did he pay?
If he paid $2,000.00 or more, then where did that money go? I am amazed by this story. Paul McCartney drumming on a Peter & Gordon record is worth that much? Everyone wants the song to stay privatized...but we can't really sympathize with any of it if everyone was paid back. I don't know about anyone else, but I've never paid more than $2.00 for a Peter & Gordon record. I wouldn't pay that much to hear Paul play drums for P&G. I think I'm going to go throw rocks at a beehive for free. Because, nobody is immune to the struggle. Money only complicates the struggle. This story proves it. If all investors were paid back, then I feel like I wasted my time here...and I don't even want to hear the songs. If no one got paid back, then I don't want to hear them twice. That's my best offer.
What the world doesn't need is... <------(The END)
KC

Eventually, algorithms will be so vicious that ALL copyrights will be enforced. These ARE the good old days. Enjoy them.
Last edited by Kwai Chang on Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
kbhoward

Post by kbhoward »

When I mentioned that the Woman acetate files were shared about a year later, in no way was this done by Mojofilter. The files were offered by an Admin (whom I do not believe is on this forum, btw) of a now-defunct forum. I do not know how many members of that group got the files for free. However, I know of one person, other than Mojo, who received a free copy when the auction was won. I left that board shortly thereafter.

The acetate was won for approx. $2200 USD (probably more....I just do not remember the exact amount as the original auction was set in British Pounds Sterling). There were buyer's fees, insurance and shipping fees (and possibly customs charges). A few contributors gave huge amounts - $500, $300, $100 come to mind. MANY gave $10. But, it added up to about 70 people from 3 different forums for a total of about $2800 - $3000 USD.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

mojofilter wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:13 pm If one or more of you have already posted it, nothing anyone says anymore matters.
That is exactly what has happened. Another reason not to discuss it anymore.
Patrick Healy

Post by Patrick Healy »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 am Let's not allow this thread to go down the path of a courtroom drama. This isn't the place for that.

Well said, Lord, well said!
Norm Deplume

Post by Norm Deplume »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 am Come on guys, don't dredge this stuff up again. Mojo has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't intend to post the B-side no matter what may have leaked elsewhere. Whether he should or shouldn't is irrelevant - he's made his mind up.

If people want to post any other versions out there that have appeared in public then by all means do so, but let''s not allow this thread to go down the path of a courtroom drama. This isn't the place for that.
Well said, LR. This music has been shared online for several years, and it's already been shared HERE before. So here are both sides! Thanks to the previous posters who shared with us.

hxxps://we.tl/t-kaQFFLJnZq

Norm
BTL1210

Post by BTL1210 »

EXCELLENT share Norm - thank you.