Die Beatles & Please Please Me (Mirror Spock)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
powerPC

Re: Die Beatles & Please Please Me (Mirror Spock)

Post by powerPC »

El_Garnatí wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:44 pm Die Beatles is the stereo germany version but the second part, is it Please Please me german version too?
This one sounds much better than "Die Beatles".
Thanks apesrfools.
Here's what MS's original release notes for this disc has to say:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Die Beatles/PPM (German stereo/UK mono)

Released: Die Beatles stereo / Please Please Me mono

Greetings Beatles fans, audiophiliacs, and collectors everywhere. Alright?

Announcing a very special release from Mirror Spock: A double album CDR of the Please Please Me LP material--stereo and mono.

First, the stereo, from the German HörZu label LP "Die Beatles" ("The Beatles"). Rumored to have been mastered from the pre-"EQ'ed/compressed" tape (before EQ and compression was added for LP release), this LP is widely regarded as being the finest version of this material in stereo (the MFSL and Parlophone LPs used the EQ'ed/compressed tape, and the MFSL was further EQ'ed). This transfer to disc is from the original logo-ed HörZu vinyl, matrix numbers SHZE 117-A-2 and SHZE 117-B-2. I believe this is the first real release of disc of this LP, not counting the German digipac version from dubious source and sounding, well, "undistingsqwished".

On the same disc, is the first time release ever (?) of the first pressing of the very first Beatles LP released anywhere: the mono Please Please Me LP with the original black and gold Parlophone, Dick James-credited label, matrix numbers XEX 421-1N and XEX 422-1N.

Now, a little tech talk follows on the restoration of this record. As you no doubt know, the black and gold Parlophone PPM is rare and expensive, and exceedingly difficult to find in acceptable condition (no doubt why it has not been released on CD before now). And indeed, the specimen from which this transfer was made was fairly trashed. However, using newly developed restoration techniques (seems there's always something newly invented for each of my releases!), I managed to restore the sound to a perfectly acceptable and releasable level, allowing you to hear this title in all its original tube-cut glory.

The center hole of this record was somewhat enlarged due to all the pleasure it has given its owners since March, 1963, so the raw recording was a bit more wobbly than most recordings from vinyl. However, using another new invention, and using the commercial CD as a guide, I have linearized the audio so that it matches the CD. In fact, it plays together with the commercial CD version in perfect sync*, with no phasing whatsa-ever--something not normally possible even with perfectly cut records on the best turntables. Thus, this vinyl transfer is the most linear needle drop of any record in history!

Having fully restored and linearized the audio, I had intended to drop the commercial CD guide track and release just the b&g Parlophone mono, but then I said to myself, "why not just have the lot of them as they are?" (TM G. Martin). So, what you get here is really two versions of the mono Please Please Me: one from the black and gold Parlophone on the right channel, the other, a matching version based on the commercial CD on the left channel, playing together in sync.

But the commercial CD version is not just that ripped from the CD. The two sources match in these ways:

1. Overall speed of both is that of the LP (speed of individual cuts on the commercial CD vary a little with respect to each other).

2. The control sync is that of the CD, because the CD is from a tape source, which presumably does not have wobble issues like all vinyl does.

3. EQ of both is that of the LP, since I'm trying to capture the original first pressing tube-cut sound (CD version precisely EQ'ed and balanced to match the LP).

4. The audio group delay (tech talk) matches that of the LP. This was necessary for the two waveforms to match.

5. Flaws of the commercial CD version (chopping off the very beginning of a song, early fade outs) have been corrected.

So, the two channels play together in sync without phasing*, resynced every 1/44 of a second or so (if I recall correctly). But, you can also play each channel individually if you want, to get just the LP version, or just the perfectly clean, matching, tape-source version.

Eh, up!

--Mirror Spock

-----------------------------------------------------------------

—Keith
apesrfools

Post by apesrfools »

powerPC wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:50 pm
El_Garnatí wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:44 pm Die Beatles is the stereo germany version but the second part, is it Please Please me german version too?
This one sounds much better than "Die Beatles".
Thanks apesrfools.
Here's what MS's original release notes for this disc has to say:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Die Beatles/PPM (German stereo/UK mono)

Released: Die Beatles stereo / Please Please Me mono

Greetings Beatles fans, audiophiliacs, and collectors everywhere. Alright?

Announcing a very special release from Mirror Spock: A double album CDR of the Please Please Me LP material--stereo and mono.

First, the stereo, from the German HörZu label LP "Die Beatles" ("The Beatles"). Rumored to have been mastered from the pre-"EQ'ed/compressed" tape (before EQ and compression was added for LP release), this LP is widely regarded as being the finest version of this material in stereo (the MFSL and Parlophone LPs used the EQ'ed/compressed tape, and the MFSL was further EQ'ed). This transfer to disc is from the original logo-ed HörZu vinyl, matrix numbers SHZE 117-A-2 and SHZE 117-B-2. I believe this is the first real release of disc of this LP, not counting the German digipac version from dubious source and sounding, well, "undistingsqwished".

On the same disc, is the first time release ever (?) of the first pressing of the very first Beatles LP released anywhere: the mono Please Please Me LP with the original black and gold Parlophone, Dick James-credited label, matrix numbers XEX 421-1N and XEX 422-1N.

Now, a little tech talk follows on the restoration of this record. As you no doubt know, the black and gold Parlophone PPM is rare and expensive, and exceedingly difficult to find in acceptable condition (no doubt why it has not been released on CD before now). And indeed, the specimen from which this transfer was made was fairly trashed. However, using newly developed restoration techniques (seems there's always something newly invented for each of my releases!), I managed to restore the sound to a perfectly acceptable and releasable level, allowing you to hear this title in all its original tube-cut glory.

The center hole of this record was somewhat enlarged due to all the pleasure it has given its owners since March, 1963, so the raw recording was a bit more wobbly than most recordings from vinyl. However, using another new invention, and using the commercial CD as a guide, I have linearized the audio so that it matches the CD. In fact, it plays together with the commercial CD version in perfect sync*, with no phasing whatsa-ever--something not normally possible even with perfectly cut records on the best turntables. Thus, this vinyl transfer is the most linear needle drop of any record in history!

Having fully restored and linearized the audio, I had intended to drop the commercial CD guide track and release just the b&g Parlophone mono, but then I said to myself, "why not just have the lot of them as they are?" (TM G. Martin). So, what you get here is really two versions of the mono Please Please Me: one from the black and gold Parlophone on the right channel, the other, a matching version based on the commercial CD on the left channel, playing together in sync.

But the commercial CD version is not just that ripped from the CD. The two sources match in these ways:

1. Overall speed of both is that of the LP (speed of individual cuts on the commercial CD vary a little with respect to each other).

2. The control sync is that of the CD, because the CD is from a tape source, which presumably does not have wobble issues like all vinyl does.

3. EQ of both is that of the LP, since I'm trying to capture the original first pressing tube-cut sound (CD version precisely EQ'ed and balanced to match the LP).

4. The audio group delay (tech talk) matches that of the LP. This was necessary for the two waveforms to match.

5. Flaws of the commercial CD version (chopping off the very beginning of a song, early fade outs) have been corrected.

So, the two channels play together in sync without phasing*, resynced every 1/44 of a second or so (if I recall correctly). But, you can also play each channel individually if you want, to get just the LP version, or just the perfectly clean, matching, tape-source version.

Eh, up!

--Mirror Spock

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info!
Dr_G

Post by Dr_G »

Thank you very much for this MS release!
Beatlesiak

Post by Beatlesiak »

:-) please re-up :-)
bri286

Post by bri286 »

Beatlesiak wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:39 pm :-) please re-up :-)
Seconded!
TELEGRAM SAM

Post by TELEGRAM SAM »

Would it be possible to re up? Thank you!
bri286

Post by bri286 »

Bump!

Could someone please re-up? Many thanks in advance!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Here are two versions (#12 + #21), none of them are apesrfools copy though.

hxxps://we.tl/t-yUg9sBoNqB
Yves
bri286

Post by bri286 »

Thank you very much!
TELEGRAM SAM

Post by TELEGRAM SAM »

Thank you so much for uploading.