Complete Recording Sessions NEW UPDATES (Vol. 13 V2 available)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo

Re: Complete Recording Sessions NEW UPDATES (Vol. 7 available now)

Post by 1822 »

What a great series, thanks much for the hard work/labor of love.

Two small questions (and apols if these already were discussed):

1. Will the Revolver set include the snippet (15 secs or so) mentioned by Doug Sulpy of “Here, There and Everywhere” that was used (for some reason) in Ron Howards’ Eight Days a Week documentary? I never heard this, and am not keen on rewatching that movie.

2. With Apple/Team Beatles moving back in time with their box sets, will you update/amend your series with new outtakes as they come? (And yes, I do hope there will be a MMT/1967 one as well, though I am not holding my breath for the Carnival track)

Thanks
Ants

Post by Ants »

csnyfan wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:02 am I have done that a while ago, will upload later
Great, I'm looking forward to hearing it. :D
Thank you, as always.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

1822 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:19 pm What a great series, thanks much for the hard work/labor of love.

Two small questions (and apols if these already were discussed):

1. Will the Revolver set include the snippet (15 secs or so) mentioned by Doug Sulpy of “Here, There and Everywhere” that was used (for some reason) in Ron Howards’ Eight Days a Week documentary? I never heard this, and am not keen on rewatching that movie.

2. With Apple/Team Beatles moving back in time with their box sets, will you update/amend your series with new outtakes as they come? (And yes, I do hope there will be a MMT/1967 one as well, though I am not holding my breath for the Carnival track)

Thanks
I wasn't aware of the HTAE outake in EDAW. Are you sure you're not thinking of I'm Only Sleeping?

Unsure at this time how I plan to handle the material from the deluxe sets. Definitely, if there's some patching to be done to the outakes, those tracks will be included, but I'm not sure if I should include the numerous outtakes available from such recent releases.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Ants wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:39 pm
masterjedi wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:11 pm
Ants wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:49 am I was wondering...
Would it be possible to erase the fake count-in at the start of Taxman, so that only the real one and the guitar noodling are audible (and we get the real intro)?
OOPSing cancels it quite well, both on the commercial and the Anthology versions, but it's still a bit audible (I think it's not perfectly centered).

Maybe we'll get those on the new SDE edition.
I took a look at the Anthology version last night. You can eliminate the fake count-in pretty well, but I see what you mean, there is still some high-frequency stuff left over with oopsing. Plus, you're left with the overdubbed screeching sounds as well. If you want to get back to just the rhythm track with no overdubs, you would need to remove everything common to both channels, and just use the resulting left channel. I'll see how well this can be done without introducing too many artifacts.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant.
I'd really like to hear the original Taxman intro, without the fake count-in and overdubs. So if you're trying to do that, well, it would be awesome. :D
P.S.: by "screeching sounds" you mean the ones in the right channel? Those wouldn't be a problem for me, since they're still part of the original performance, and they were not overdubbed on purpose during the intro at a later stage (like the fake count-in).
I think I would have a problem with it. The right-channel screeching noises were definitely AN overdub, just like the count-in, so which overdubs would one include, and which ones should be removed?
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

csnyfan wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:02 am I have done that a while ago, will upload later
Excellent. looking forward to hearing that!

Post by 1822 »

[/quote]

I wasn't aware of the HTAE outake in EDAW. Are you sure you're not thinking of I'm Only Sleeping?

Unsure at this time how I plan to handle the material from the deluxe sets. Definitely, if there's some patching to be done to the outakes, those tracks will be included, but I'm not sure if I should include the numerous outtakes available from such recent releases.
[/quote]

Yes, “Here, There and Everywhere.” Not so much an outtake but studio chat, a 15-second snippet; it apparently resides on the bluray of the documentary. I’ve not heard it (nor do I own the bluray).

Must be a challenge, going thru the box set outtakes/studio chats. I remember reading somewhere that in at least one instance there’s a difference between the 2-disc version of an outtake vs the deluxe one! I mean….

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again!
Ants

Post by Ants »

masterjedi wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:37 am I think I would have a problem with it. The right-channel screeching noises were definitely AN overdub, just like the count-in, so which overdubs would one include, and which ones should be removed?
Oh yes, I know what you mean: the screeching noises (and the faint ascending guitar scale that ends just before the start of the song) are overdubs.
But I see them as "work" overdubs (it's McCartney warming up before the beginning of the song): for me, they're still part of (what was going to be) the performance.

If, for example, Taxman had been "officially" edited and cut to start just after the real count-in (as most of the Beatles songs were), they wouldn't have added the fake one.
And if, in some ways, that take had been bootlegged with all the overdubs (like Day Tripper Take 3, Paperback Writer Take 2, etc.), we would've heard the full intro, with them chatting (as we can hear in the left channel), with they warming up (as in the right channel), and then there would've been the real count-in (left channel).
The fake count-in wouldn't have been added at all, in that case.

I don't know if what I wrote makes sense (I hope it does!), but this is what I think.

The fake count-in was added to "mask" the real intro, and I'd really like to hear that.

But if you (or csnyfan) are going to reconstruct the basic live take, then I agree: the right channel should not be included, since it's an overdub (as you said).
RLester

Post by RLester »

Masterjedi, I apologize for being dense, but is this project still underway? I can think of little else.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

RLester wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:45 pm Masterjedi, I apologize for being dense, but is this project still underway? I can think of little else.
I have been busy with other things lately, but it is definitely still on.
bsizzy_27

Post by bsizzy_27 »

masterjedi wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:00 pm
RLester wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:45 pm Masterjedi, I apologize for being dense, but is this project still underway? I can think of little else.
I have been busy with other things lately, but it is definitely still on.
Your efforts on this project have been amazing. I always look forward your next installment! I can't thank you enough. :mrgreen: