Complete Recording Sessions NEW UPDATES (Vol. 13 V2 available)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
JoeWadley

Re: Complete Recording Sessions NEW UPDATES (Vol. 8 available now)

Post by JoeWadley »

Thank you! This collection is such valuable work. To have all this, in one place, best sound, most accurately researched.... What a gift.

Compared to the old versions, the volume numbering has changed a lot, no? I think Revolver was volume 10 in the old system.
Ants

Post by Ants »

Thanks a lot! Extremely interesting, as always! :D

If I can point out just two or three things...

- And Your Bird Can Sing (Take 10+6 Instrumental): I've always wondered if the count-in (from Rock Band) is the right one.

- I'm Only Sleeping (Take 11 Instrumental): I made some calculations going by the cycle speeds noted by Lewisohn, and it must've been played in F#, then slowed down to D for the vocals, and then slightly sped-up to reach Eb (more or less) for the released version.
The count-in sounds most natural at the speed of F#.
I know this doesn't match the description of the SDE book, but I think they got it wrong.

- For No One (Take 1+2 Monitor Mix): It's in B, but it must've been played in C (like take 10). Same with "For No One (Unknown Takes Monitor Mix)".

- Got To Get You Into My Life (Take 8 Instrumental): I don't know if this is a mistake made by Giles Martin and his team or not, but the horns sound really out-of-sync. I wonder if it's possible, somehow, to take them back in sync?

But, as I said, great work, as always. :D
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

csnyfan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm Superb!
IWTTY: I think the "Laxton Superb" announcement should be tacked on to chat before take 1 rather than take 4?
I see what you did there! Yeah, I debated where to put it. It's spectrally unlike what comes before or after. I could go either way.
csnyfan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm TNK tk 1: I have no clue where exactly coltturkey got that bass noodling from, and I agree that it does not belong before take 1, but I would argue that it absolutely comes from the same session. The guitar note heard with the bass is unique. It may be from after Take 1, as there is a conspicous fingerprint of tones and hums that match those from before and after take 1 on the SDE (likely from the leslie guitar speaker audible on the intro to take 1).
The stray guitar note is from a couple seconds into take 1, after the looping starts. So, we already have it, although mixed in.
csnyfan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm TNK tk 3: The isolated backwards guitar from McCartney 3, 2, 1 lends itself nicely for a collage of overdubs on track 3 (one line is even unused in any other mix, sadly I haven't been able to put it into context yet), along with the jangle piano that I recently isolated.
AYBCS: McCartney 3, 2, 1 has two different mixes and edits, both with the original ending to take 10, as found in RM6. There is no 'third' ending. The mix you chose just removes a phrase before the crashing ending. Luckily, the second version has the true ending after the comment "we get to the solo" that is excised on the first version, so a composite with the complete ending can be created from 3,2,1. The mixes don't match, but it should be possible to get something decent.
Nice! Sounds like some good catches. I'll see what can be done.
csnyfan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm I've put together these so far:
1966-04-22 Tomorrow Never Knows [Take 3 - Track 3 Jangle Piano]
1966-05-09 For No One [Take 10 - Live Basic Track]
1966-06-01 Yellow Submarine [Abbey Road Sound Effects Tape Vol 46 - Le Rêve Passe]
Thanks, I'll have a listen! I know the For No One didn't make the cut due to the drums having too much artifacting.
csnyfan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:08 pm I'll write up more when I notice it.
Also have you received the remade demix of Yesterday Take 2 (with studio noises left intact)?
I did. Just haven't gotten around to installing it into that volume yet.
Track06

Post by Track06 »

Stunning, thanks.
csnyfan

Post by csnyfan »

I just noticed we can get the complete, clean vocal overdub for AYBCS take 10 with the studio ambience and handclaps left intact all through from the Atmos mix!

Also:
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pmI see what you did there! Yeah, I debated where to put it. It's spectrally unlike what comes before or after. I could go either way.
I would say it has the exact same noise profile as the right channel of the pre-take 1 chat. Also note how the noise drops down before the talkback, during Lennon's last syllable. That indicates there's no edit, just the left track is faded way down while the track that captured the talkback (right/center) is still faded up.
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pmThe stray guitar note is from a couple seconds into take 1, after the looping starts. So, we already have it, although mixed in.
100% correct, I didn't notice that. So the bass is certainly out of context here.
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pm Thanks, I'll have a listen! I know the For No One didn't make the cut due to the drums having too much artifacting.
Understandable, I haven't investigated the Atmos mix to see if it might help.
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pm I did. Just haven't gotten around to installing it into that volume yet.
Cool!
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

csnyfan wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:25 pm I just noticed we can get the complete, clean vocal overdub for AYBCS take 10 with the studio ambience and handclaps left intact all through from the Atmos mix!

Also:
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pmI see what you did there! Yeah, I debated where to put it. It's spectrally unlike what comes before or after. I could go either way.
I would say it has the exact same noise profile as the right channel of the pre-take 1 chat. Also note how the noise drops down before the talkback, during Lennon's last syllable. That indicates there's no edit, just the left track is faded way down while the track that captured the talkback (right/center) is still faded up.
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pmThe stray guitar note is from a couple seconds into take 1, after the looping starts. So, we already have it, although mixed in.
100% correct, I didn't notice that. So the bass is certainly out of context here.
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pm Thanks, I'll have a listen! I know the For No One didn't make the cut due to the drums having too much artifacting.
Understandable, I haven't investigated the Atmos mix to see if it might help.
masterjedi wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:54 pm I did. Just haven't gotten around to installing it into that volume yet.
Cool!
Okay, I think you have me convinced on where Laxton Superb belongs. Appreciate the second opinion. Also, it killed me to not include For No One, because it's so close! Maybe we just wait for the AI to get a little better.
masterjedi

Post by masterjedi »

Ants wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:26 pm Thanks a lot! Extremely interesting, as always! :D

If I can point out just two or three things...

- And Your Bird Can Sing (Take 10+6 Instrumental): I've always wondered if the count-in (from Rock Band) is the right one.

- I'm Only Sleeping (Take 11 Instrumental): I made some calculations going by the cycle speeds noted by Lewisohn, and it must've been played in F#, then slowed down to D for the vocals, and then slightly sped-up to reach Eb (more or less) for the released version.
The count-in sounds most natural at the speed of F#.
I know this doesn't match the description of the SDE book, but I think they got it wrong.

- For No One (Take 1+2 Monitor Mix): It's in B, but it must've been played in C (like take 10). Same with "For No One (Unknown Takes Monitor Mix)".

- Got To Get You Into My Life (Take 8 Instrumental): I don't know if this is a mistake made by Giles Martin and his team or not, but the horns sound really out-of-sync. I wonder if it's possible, somehow, to take them back in sync?

But, as I said, great work, as always. :D
I see what you mean about the speeds! I'll fix For No One for sure, not sure yet if I'll do anything about I'm Only Sleeping since everything was recorded at different speeds (some negative). ;)

Hard to say about the Rockband count-ins. Some are genuine, some from other places. This one sounds similar enough to the other takes of AYBCS though, so I think we should keep it.

And the horns on GTGYIML are a bummer. I did look at this but quickly wrote it off as irredeemable. Maybe Lord Reith could have a look since I know he mentioned it too.
Last edited by masterjedi on Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

The 666th reply to this thread unfortunately fell on page 67........ ;-)
RLester

Post by RLester »

Brilliant. Thank you so much masterjedi!
soupsandwitch

Post by soupsandwitch »

So exciting great stuff!!!