The Beatles - Complete Studio collection

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
simond9X

The Beatles - Complete Studio collection

Post by simond9X »

Erk! I'm hoping that some kind soul can help me out here. A while ago on BZ, someone - I forget who it was now but recall that it was one of the main contributors (csnyfan maybe?) - was building a collection which I think was called 'Complete Studio'. It was a real labour of love and was compiling every known studio take in chronological sequence, much as Purple Chick had done years earlier. I also recall that the covers were excellent too. I seem to think that the person was taking a break from his project, maybe a year or two ago.

Imagine my surprise when I just went to play it and found nothing, apart from one volume labelled 'Complete Studio - Vol 14' which has 13 tracks, starting with a rehearsal of Fool On The Hill and ending with takes 1-4 of Step Inside Love. There's no cover with it so I can't be certain that it's actually part of the same collection that I'm thinking of. Either way, I've lost that collection. All my music is on hard drives, doubly backed-up, but I can't find it anywhere.

Can anyone remind me what the series was and if it's available anywhere to re-download?

Thanks in advance for any help.
PanKotskiy

Re: The Beatles - Complete Studio collection

Post by PanKotskiy »

Hello! It seems the volume you've mentioned is "The Beatles - Complete Recording Sessions - Volume 14 - sample".

Here's what the Vol.14 booklet says:
"Series created by Coltturkey.
Volume compiled and remastered from the best available sources by csnyfan.
Recording notes by csnyfan; additional notes & booklet writing by sologui.
Thanks to John Barrett, Mark Lewisohn & John Winn for invaluable info.
© May 2019. (© September 2019 – Booklet)"

As far as I understand, the series was created in several installments.

In March 2020, coltturkey wrote:
"Hi folks.
First of all: Sorry for not online here for a long time.
csyfan and I have too much monkey business to do in the future, so i will fill the gap and give you here the Volumes 16-20 in the 2017 Version, where the 2018 White Album Deluxe Box Set Outtakes' missing and without the gorgeous help of csyfan.
But i think is better than nothing. The first site is updated with the new links."

I think I've got all the volumes the series authors shared. Would you like the whole lot?
Suzy Parlourphone

Post by Suzy Parlourphone »

Is this from the set you are looking for? This is from The Complete Recording Sessions, which I think was by colturkey and csnyfan.

Edited to add: Looks like PanKotskiy beat me to it. This is the same thing.
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

Oh, wow, thanks guys! That's it, that's what I was looking for and the cover matches the contents of my vol 14. I've just searched my drives again looking for the correct title but still nothing. I definitely had all the volumes that they created up until csnyfan's break - I must somehow have deleted them or not properly backed them up. I really don't want to put anyone to any trouble but, if you have them somewhere like a Google Drive or similar, I'd be eternally grateful to be allowed to download them. Many thanks for your help.
9b4

Post by 9b4 »

Some of the tread i available here :arrow:
https://web.archive.org/web/20190911062 ... 93&start=0
But the dl links seems dead :?
PanKotskiy

Post by PanKotskiy »

simond9X wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:10 pm ... if you have them somewhere like a Google Drive or similar...
Sure, no trouble at all. :) I will upload the folders I have to MEGA and share the link in this post later today.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

The good news is, you probably already have all of these tracks in your collection, as the Complete Studio collection was (mostly?) sourced from existing sets. And some of those sets got their tracks from yet other earlier sets – all of which we downloaded...).

One of my forever projects is to weed down the redundancy that inevitably occurs when collecting Beatles or other artists.

Here is but a very small example of what you discover if you dump all of this stuff you downloaded from all over the place into a single folder on your computer (you would never spot them otherwise). I call this "Roll Call", where all tracks are out in the courtyard, naked:

I Saw Her Standing There (tk1) RM (stereo) v2 (Take It Off-HS remaster).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1 (TIO+S2S) (Great Scott! It's... The Beatles-MasterJedi).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1 vocal fix, Engonoceras).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1, ARVS+S2S) (The Beatles-50 Vol. 1-MasterJedi).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1, extended intro).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1, stereo) (Please Please Me Sessions-Robbie).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1) (Complete Controlroom Monitor Mixes).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1) (Complete Recording Sessions-coltturkey 2017).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1) (stereo remix, Hey Zube).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1) (stereo) NEW VERSION [With online bass top from HMC] (Please Please Me-Back To Basics, 2013 upgrade-HS).flac
I Saw Her Standing There (tk1) (Take It Off-Hobs remaster).flac

After Roll Call we have the Cage Fight, where redundant tracks go head-to-head in battle to see which will survive the culling!

In many cases I was able to match the Complete Studio collection with the original source, and eliminate one or the other set of those tracks from my hard drive, making the decision based on whether one release was preferable over the other for some reason (more complete, remastered, edited, etc.).
Last edited by alphabeatles on Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alphabeatles

Post by alphabeatles »

One other random example from my Steaming Pile folder:

A Day In The Life (tk1 (Sgt. Pepper sessions-philfree).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1 (unedited) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1 excerpt) (Anthology DVD songtrack, 2002 remix).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1 partial Monitor mix) (mono) (Sgt. Pepper-BTB V1).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1 partial Monitor mix) [Longer Edit With Voiceover] (mono) (Sgt. Pepper-BTB V1).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1) (Complete Recording Sessions Vol. 11-coltturkey).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1) (It Was Fifty Years Ago Today).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1) (Mulit-track Playback v1) (stereo) (Sgt. Pepper-BTB V1).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1) (Mulit-track Playback v2) (mono) (Sgt. Pepper-BTB V1).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1) (Sgt. Pepper Working Version-Misterclaudel).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1) 50SD+ODSTG (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1+2 Intros) (It Was Fifty Years Ago Today).flac
A Day In The Life (tk1+2+6+studio dialogue) (Anthology 2 remix, 1996) Ant2 (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk2 (Sgt. Pepper sessions-philfree).flac
A Day In The Life (tk2 partial) (mono) (Sgt. Pepper-BTB V1).flac
A Day In The Life (tk2) (Complete Recording Sessions Vol. 11-coltturkey).flac
A Day In The Life (tk2) (It Was Fifty Years Ago Today).flac
A Day In The Life (tk2) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk2) 50SD (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk3 (intro only) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk4 (partial w voiceover) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk4 partial) (Complete Recording Sessions Vol. 11-coltturkey).flac
A Day In The Life (tk4 SI) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk4 With Guide vocal) (mono) (Sgt. Pepper-BTB V1).flac
A Day In The Life (tk4) (It Was Fifty Years Ago Today).flac
A Day In The Life (tk4) BTB (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 'Stripped Down' mono mix, 2011) HSR.flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 acetate mix) (I Should Like To Live Up A Tree-Hobnology v2).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 complete) (Complete Recording Sessions Vol. 11-coltturkey).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 Drums, Bass & Vocal SI) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 Four Track Remix) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 jangle piano) (Complete Recording Sessions Vol. 12-coltturkey).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 remix, 2011) HSR.flac
A Day In The Life (tk6 RM1) 50SD (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6, faders 1+2 only, stripped mix) (mono) (Mixes And Outtakes-HS).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6, RM1) (Nothing But Aging-RMW).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6) (Sgt. Pepper Working Version-Misterclaudel).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6) (stereo) (Mixes And Outtakes-HS).flac
A Day In The Life (tk6) 50SD (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk7 four track mono remix) ODSTG (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk7 RS4-6) (Sgt. Pepper Working Version-Misterclaudel).flac
A Day In The Life (tk7 RSunknown) (Sgt. Pepper Working Version-Misterclaudel).flac
A Day In The Life (tk7) (Multi-track Playback) (stereo) (Sgt. Pepper-BTB V1).flac
A Day In The Life (tk7) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk7).flac
A Day In The Life (tk8- Edit piece) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day in The Life (tk8-11 hummed last chord) 50SD (Massed Alberts).flac
A Day In The Life (tk9- Edit piece) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk10-Edit Piece) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
A Day In The Life (tk11-Edit Piece) (One Down, Six To Go-Valkyrie).flac
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

PanKotskiy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:14 pm Sure, no trouble at all. :) I will upload the folders I have to MEGA and share the link in this post later today.
That's brilliant, thanks!
simond9X

Post by simond9X »

alphabeatles wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:15 pm The good news is, you probably already have all of these tracks in your collection, as the Complete Studio collection was (mostly?) sourced from existing sets. And some of those sets got their tracks from yet other earlier sets – all of which we downloaded...).

One of my forever projects is to weed down the redundancy that inevitably occurs when collecting Beatles or other artists.
I know, tell me about it! When I stored everything on CDs, bookshelf space dictated that I had to be pretty ruthless about weeding out superseded versions. Now that it's all on hard drives, where space isn't really an issue, I tend to just add, rather than replace. I do weed things out occasionally but I've got upteen generations of the BBC recordings, from Yellow Matter Custard, through the old Great Dane box-set and others, to the one that LR is uploading now. Will I ever play the older ones? Nah, almost certainly not although I do like the covers and write-ups for the older versions. Ditto, the studio recordings. I was kind of relying on the Complete Studio collection to do the hard work for me and bring all the latest (and best?) versions together in one place so it was a bit of a bummer to find it had gone. I still have a great fondness for the Purple Chick collection - do I delete it once I have the Complete Studio again? Gulp! :? More likely, I'll put off any decision until space becomes a problem again by which time I'll probably have bought a higher capacity drive so the decision can be put off yet again.

So much music and so little time!