some old bootlegzone files

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
jeffpeabodyskeys

Re: some old bootlegzone files

Post by jeffpeabodyskeys »

Does anyone happen to have the info file or original post text for PL023?
Track06

Post by Track06 »

got this:

Phil_Lip
Post subject: PL023 John Lennon - Walls & Bridges (Deluxe Edition)PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:08 pm

At long last!!

Walls & Bridges Phil_Lip deluxe edition

I've tried to present this album demonstrating the development from the earliest composing tapes, through the cassette demos and rehearsals, to the recording of the album and beyond. Not every scrap of material available is included, some of which circulates in very poor quality. Having said that, there may well be things I've missed which are worthy of inclusion and I'd be happy to take suggestions. I've also excluded the live tracks recorded with Elton John, I think they would be better collected together in a comprehensive live compilation, and also the session tapes released by HMC in recent years. Whilst I find it absolutely fascinating sitting in on the sessions, it does not work well for casual listening!

Disc 1 - Demos & Rehearsals

Tracks 1-15

Beginning with the earliest composing tapes and running through to mostly complete demos. These are mostly sourced from the Rapple 'Walls And Bridges Recording Sessions' release. Sound quality varies enormously on the original tapes, these have been eq'd and to something more consistent. It is also obvious that some of the tracks have had aggressive noise reduction applied, Unfortunately I have been unable to find better sources for these. A few of the tracks have been shortened and one or two have missing sections restored from alternate sources.

Tracks 16-21

We move into the studio as John leads the band through rehearsals the songs. Mainly sourced from the Rapple release again, I actually prefer many of these tracks in their raw form compared to the album versions. Edited versions of some of these recordings formed the basis for those on the Menlove Avenue album.

Disc 2 - More rehearsals and outtakes

Continuing from where we left off from disc 1 we find ourselves at the recording sessions propper. Collected here are the various outtakes released on Anthology and other official releases.

Disc 3 - Album & Extras

Tracks 1-12

The original album sourced from the OOP first CD release.

Tracks 13-17

The edited rehearsal versions that appeared on Menlove Avenue. During working on this album I noticed for the first time 'Steel and Glass' has some serious sound quality issues. If you listen carefully to the original CD you can hear various clicks where there shouldn't be and distorted sound at various points where John is singing. At first I thought they were problems with digital extraction but listening to the raw version they are there too. I went on to spend many hours removing these but I may have missed one or two!

Track 18

This track was substantially faster on Menlove Avenue, it is presented here at its original speed.

Disc 4 - Remixes

Tracks 1-12

Downmixed 8-Track version of the album. John completely remixed the album for 8-Track, the remixes are far from subtle and make for an interesting listen. Most interesting is 'Steel and Glass' which runs for nearly a minute longer than the album version. However, as far as I know two copies of this circulate, the first has reasonable fidelity but suffers from quite severe wowing, the second has virtually no top end but is is stable. I have combined elements of both of these versions and even patched it in a few places with the regular album version to produce something at least listenable. Some tracks worked out better than others but until a better source is found it will have to do.

Tracks 13-19

These tracks were remixed for the 2004 reissue, the remainder were for some reason were not.

Track 20

The longer version from the Lennon Legend DVD.

As ever, comments, questions and suggestions are welcome.

https://tinyurl.com/y2txkpz3
jeffpeabodyskeys

Thank you very much, Track06!
jeffpeabodyskeys

Below are the notes for "Rock 'N' Roll" deluxe if anyone needs them:

PL-019 John Lennon - Rock and Roll (Deluxe Edition)

This has been a long time coming, around a year on and off, but I'm finally ready to share my latest deluxe Edition.

The genesis of the album is well known so I won't go into detail here, but what I have ended up with is a 4-disc set that while not comprehensive, hopefully showcases the best of the material available but still provides a pleasent listening experience.

First of all, I want to discuss what is not on the discs. Both the original mix and the remix are out of print with the Signature Box version appearing to be the only version currently available to buy. By including only the out of print mixes, I hopefully avoid the attentions of any Blue Meenies!

Secondly, I am aware of the high number of lo-fi session bootlegs out there, most of which are not particularly interesting and listening to them can be quite tiring after a while. I have selected the most interesting tracks and tried to present them in the best quality possible.

Before I get to the individual discs I have to admit that listening intently to the tracks for the first time reveals the hastiness in which the album was pulled together. Sloppy instrument playing, poor editing and a surprising number of drop-outs plagued the whole album and it sounds like they went with the rough mixes, although this may have been a deliberate, artistic choice to try and retain a 'loose' feel to the album. These appear to have been largely fixed in the 2004 remix. but not entirely. In the main I have tended to leave both the original and remixes alone and present them in their original form. There is a single exception to this, details of which follow.

Disc 1 - The original mixes

The first digital release of the album occurred in 199x. The tapes sound like a straight copy of the 2-track master for the original album.

1-13 From the original 1987 CD

14 - Angel Baby - From the Menlove Avenue CD, this is a longer version than the projected 'Roots' album.

15 - Since My Baby Left Me - From Menlove Avenue, the is the first version of this song, the second being on disc 2. I prefer this version as it is a much tighter performance and John sounds less inhebriated.

16 To Know Her Is To Love Her - Surely one of the best tracks from the sessions and amazing it was left off the album. My guess is that it was because it is a much slower tempo than the rest of the album and not really rock and roll.

17 Here We Go Again - Probably never intended for the Rock and Roll album but I have included it here as it was recorded during the sessions and to my mind, has the same 'feel'.

18 Stand By Me - Single mix with the orchestra overdub and taken from 'Working Class Hero'.

19 Move Over Ms.L - B-Side to Stand By Me. This had already been attempted during the Walls and Bridges sessions but it was not until the re-recording that John was happy enough for it to be released.

20 Slippin' and Slidin' - Recorded for the BBCs 'Old Grey Whistle Test', here we have a wonderful high quality stereo version released on the 'Working Class Hero' DVD.

21 Stand By Me - Sadly we do not have a similarly high quality version of this 'Old Grey Whistle Test' track, but have to make do with the unremastered version released on DVD by the BBC. Originally the spoken word part towards the end was crudely edited in to the original take. I have re-edited the track to make it fit in better, but I wouldn't claim it to be a seamless join.

22 Slippin' And Slidin' (Salute to Sir Lew Grade) - 1 of the 3 tracks performed as a back-handed tribute to Sir Lew, this is by far the track I spent the most time working on. I was keen to include it, being John's final performance, but we only have ropey versions available. Using the FAB DVD as the source I extracted as much audio as I could get and tried to make something that was at least listenable. Interestingly working on this I found the backing track for this version is identical to the one used for the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' film.

Disc 2 - The Remixes

In the early 2000s, Yoko commisioned remixes of most of John's albums. While many of the tracks accross the project were dramatically remixed, with exception of their length, the Rock and Roll remixes were pretty faithfull to the originals. I have to say that this is my favourite version of the album.

1-17,19 From the remixed CD

16 Be My Baby - I generally left both the original and remix CDs as originally presented but the bass playing at the start of this has always struck me as being sloppy, in particular the flub during the intro. As this has always bothered me, I took the liberty of fixing it.

18 Stand By Me - The longer version found on the 'Working Class Hero' DVD. This version is based on the album version, therefore missing out the orchestra overdub from the single mix.

Disc 3 - 'Roots'

Originally I intended this disc to be title 'Roots & More', adding the remaining tracks from Anthology etc. to the original 'Roots' album and for reasons of quality, not including any session material. After having a change of heart I thought if I could grab a few of the best tracks, sequence them in a logical way and try and make them somewhat more listenable I might have enough for a 'Making Of' type disc. This I eventually did, leaving'Roots' as a stand alone disc.

For those of us not lucky enough to own a copy of the original album, we had to put up with many poor quality boot versions of the album. Better copies have circulated in recent years and I chose the Rapple 'John Lennon Plays The Roots Of Rock 'n Roll' as the source. The tracks have been speed and phase corrected and re-equalised to match the original Rock and Roll album. It's far from perfect, but until a pristine copy circulates, it will have to do.

Disc 4 - Sessions

This disc collects together the remaining released tracks and the best of what circulates on bootlegs. I tried to sequence them into some sort of logical order and a reasonable listening experience.

01 Here We Go Again - Demo version, included here because I included the studio version on disc 1. This is the best version I could find and the only one to not suffer from excessive noise reduction.

02 Be My Baby - The longest version available and lacking the vocal overdub backing vocals. I sequenced this and the following 2 tracks based on how drunk I think John is! The end coda of this is spectacular and demonstrates how much passion for this song John had.

03 Sweet Little Sixteen - Again, a longer particularly drunken rendition of the song, but I think it does demonstrate how the final vesion was much edited.

04 Just Because - Nothing to say except John is completely out of his head recording this. If this is an example of what was being recorded, it's no wonder John was unhappy with the sessions. Interestingly we do get a snatch of the vocals from this take at the end of the Anthology version reprise.

05 Be My Baby - An abrupt start and a shortened version of track 2. This time the vocal overdubs are here and now appears to have had some mixing work done.

06 'Sunnyview Rehearsals' - A medley put together from the 'May Pang Tapes'. The three songs rehearsed but never made it to the album in any of its incarnations. I personally think 'That'll Be The Day' sounds suprisingly like the Quarrymen version from Anthology 1.

07-11 From Antholgy

12-15 These tracks are rough monitor mix versions. I selected these as they each offer something different from the final versions, be it different vocals or longer versions. These are not the best sounding, but I have attempted to bring them to a listenable level.

16 Stand By Me - The seperate backing and overdub tracks for the 'Old Grey Whistle Test' film.

17 Just Because - The album and reprise versions edited together to produce a complete, longer version.

That's it, I hope you enjoy it. As ever, all comments are welcome.
Rui

Post by Rui »

Megazeti wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:44 am how about a trip down memory lane, every single topic posted in the Beatleg Forum (unfortunatley no Other Artists pages etc) so that's all 220 front pages with every topic on that page that's ever been posted up from day 1 until May 2018.
i kept it as a reference and just clicked every topic to see what could be downloaded.
should be a useful reference to what exists and what has been posted... catch is there no topic pages with links.

i do have some pages to some topics (not very many) so i might post them as well.

hxxps://fromsmash.com/old-bootlegzone-menu
link up for 14 days.
zip folder
Aww It Looks Like I Missed On This One :'<, Could You Do A Re-upload ^v^, Thanks In Advance!
Megazeti

Post by Megazeti »

Beatles
and other artists forum pages
hxxps://fromsmash.com/RVMJHwIzUA-gt
zip folder
dead in 14 days

enjoy