The Beatles Story - 1973 BBC Radio Special [Marconi Experiment Archives] - 14 CDs

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
ianbuckers

Re: The Beatles Story - 1973 BBC Radio Special [Marconi Experiment Archives] - 14 CDs

Post by ianbuckers »

Lord Reith wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:34 am The US version was shortened so the broadcasters could insert ads. That's quite a common thing for the BBC to do. In fact, they still do it. The "international" versions of popular tv series like Silent Witness are all 50min, whereas the UK originals are 58min. Sometimes these shorter versions are even released on dvd.
More and more are being made as 20-25mins or 40-45mins. Eastenders is now 20 minutes an episode down from 30 minutes.Clearly there is a move towards making just one version where they in the past would have possibility had to have made two? Covid restrictions on filming was the reason given but it's clearly to save money.

Major wildlife series (such as Blue Planet) are transmitted here with a 10 minutes 'how it was done' at the end. Easily left out to make each episode commercial TV friendly.

And also more and more you hear dialogue made to make more sense to the US English educated viewer. Holby City (which is now around 40 mins instead of 60 mins) around Christmas reference was made to going home and having an eggnog. Although the drink has origins here hardly anyone in 'normal' society would drink it here these days. It would more likely be a snowball. But most people in the UK would have a rough IDEA what eggnog is from references in imported TV and film...so we sort of understand but also are left thinking it was an odd thing to say. Most in the US wouldn't know what a snowball (as a drink) was...so eggnog goes in clearly as it the most internationally understood. Makes it very clear that international syndication and sales are more important than making a drama a true reflection on British language and behaviour. But I digress!

My problem with the proposal there was a US 45 minute per episode version is that it flies in the face of BBC Wavelength versions of the transcription discs...they, according to images of cue sheets I've seen, were still the full 55 minutes approx each. So as it stands there seems to be no evidence of the truncated versions on transcription disc...only on R2R. Now surely it wouldn't have been distributed internationally by bulky tape reels??
Lord Reith

Re: The Beatles Story - 1973 BBC Radio Special [Marconi Experiment Archives] - 14 CDs

Post by Lord Reith »

My problem with the proposal there was a US 45 minute per episode version is that it flies in the face of BBC Wavelength versions of the transcription discs...they, according to images of cue sheets I've seen, were still the full 55 minutes approx each. So as it stands there seems to be no evidence of the truncated versions on transcription disc...only on R2R. Now surely it wouldn't have been distributed internationally by bulky tape reels??
That is weird yes. The LW discs even have three second pauses in the programme to make it easier to insert ads. In fact I don't think there are even any cuts in the LW discs (I could be wrong). Also, the BBC didn't ship programmes on RTR that I know of. It's much cheaper to punch out a bit of vinyl... pennies compared to pounds. So why these versions are on RTR and edited is a bit of a mystery.
ianbuckers wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:57 am More and more are being made as 20-25mins or 40-45mins. Eastenders is now 20 minutes an episode down from 30 minutes.Clearly there is a move towards making just one version where they in the past would have possibility had to have made two? Covid restrictions on filming was the reason given but it's clearly to save money.

Major wildlife series (such as Blue Planet) are transmitted here with a 10 minutes 'how it was done' at the end. Easily left out to make each episode commercial TV friendly.
That's a sensible idea. I HATE the international edits. The trouble is they also ship them out to broadcasters that don't show ads. So for example when I saw Ashes To Ashes series 3 originally, I didn't realise that my taped-off-the-tv versions were missing over an hour's worth of content! It was a decade or more before I bought them in HD off iTunes and suddenly started noticing all these odd lines and entire scenes that I'd never seen before. I notice that even now, US streaming sites like Acorn are given these shorter versions of BBC shows, when obviously there is no need.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:14 am That's a sensible idea. I HATE the international edits. The trouble is they also ship them out to broadcasters that don't show ads. So for example when I saw Ashes To Ashes series 3 originally, I didn't realise that my taped-off-the-tv versions were missing over an hour's worth of content! It was a decade or more before I bought them in HD off iTunes and suddenly started noticing all these odd lines and entire scenes that I'd never seen before. I notice that even now, US streaming sites like Acorn are given these shorter versions of BBC shows, when obviously there is no need.
Well it was announced this week that the current license fee review will be the last. The proposal is to freeze the license (at £159) for the next five years and then abolish it. Details of how the BBC would then be funded haven't be revealed. Most likely not yet fully decided.

BTW LR, you didn't correct me...they are of course London Wavelength branded transcriptions not BBC Wavelength as I erroneously put.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ianbuckers wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:03 pm BTW LR, you didn't correct me...they are of course London Wavelength branded transcriptions not BBC Wavelength as I erroneously put.
You'd think I'd know that, having once owned a complete counterfeit reproduction of the set complete with t-shirt!
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Lord Reith wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:08 pm
ianbuckers wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:03 pm BTW LR, you didn't correct me...they are of course London Wavelength branded transcriptions not BBC Wavelength as I erroneously put.
You'd think I'd know that, having once owned a complete counterfeit reproduction of the set complete with t-shirt!
The picture disc ones?
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ianbuckers wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:09 pm
The picture disc ones?
No, they were regular black vinyl but they had plain coloured labels and not LW labels. Also it came with a photocopy of the deejay notes (which I kept) and, as I said, a blue t-shirt with "The Beatles Story" in a circle on the left breast.

I didn't keep it because the records were mono, and some were distorted. Otherwise it would have been a great set.

And it cost the frigging earth! :x
ianbuckers

Post by ianbuckers »

Lord Reith wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:07 am
ianbuckers wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:09 pm

The picture disc ones?
No, they were regular black vinyl but they had plain coloured labels and not LW labels. Also it came with a photocopy of the deejay notes (which I kept) and, as I said, a blue t-shirt with "The Beatles Story" in a circle on the left breast.

I didn't keep it because the records were mono, and some were distorted. Otherwise it would have been a great set.

And it cost the frigging earth! :x
So genuine transcription discs of this were in Stereo?
Claude_de_Faux

Post by Claude_de_Faux »

Thank you very much !
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Thank you Bobzilla, absolutely brilliant.
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

ianbuckers wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 am So genuine transcription discs of this were in Stereo?
Absolutely. And the TS version has the opening preamble for each episode re-voiced by Brian Mathew. In the original UK broadcast it is voiced by someone else.