Template for posting new shares

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Tex

Re: Template for posting new shares

Post by Tex »

As far as format I don't care the format but the one thing that drives me bonkers is stuff that's wrapped in a folder in a folder in another folder and inside one or two layers of a ZIP file or some oddball uncommon compression format like SHN, GZ, 7Z. I've always just posted a direct link to a WAV file. I like WeTransfer because it's easy uploading, fast downloading and the link vaporizes after a certain time.
WilliamShears
Site Admin

Post by WilliamShears »

InnerLight wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:59 pm Not being that familiar with PHPBB or whatever is backing this site - I'm wondering if there are any mods that make something like that more accessible so it's an option on the post screen. I suppose we can save a draft of it.

edit: or I suppose an offline utility /script that could read a folder of contents and generate such a post/doc...
Yes there are templates that can be pre-set for when a new topic is posted to a specific forum it auto-generates the fields we would like to see. Scanning the actual files is not an option since they aren't stored on this server. Good ideas...
Lord Reith

Post by Lord Reith »

I don't care so long as the files are tagged. That's where I get all my info.
Women there don't treat you mean, in Abilene
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

Lord Reith wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:23 am I don't care so long as the files are tagged. That's where I get all my info.
I totally agree with you.

Re-tagging, or sometimes tagging, period, takes a lot of time. And patience...
Yves
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Man, I spent over a week recently, tagging all the discs in the Unbootlegged series. Not a one of them was done properly; it looked like several people had done some cursory tagging, but left stuff like the Artist field empty, and put a paragraph of info about each track in the title field, some had tracks that were unnumbered, titles that were wrong, or only Track01, Track 02, misspellings, random capitalization, the name of the drive and folder where they stored the files listed in the Album Title field, the Info field for every track full of somebody's username or the iteration of FLAC that encoded the files... geez, it was a pain. And I've done that to thousands of other discs, too. It's probably a pipe dream to expect posters to conform to rigid standards in tagging their files. But it sure would be nice if you didn't have to undo their half-assed entries and do them properly yourself.
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
InnerLight

Post by InnerLight »

Re: tagging - after trying many many tools for several years I have been using this one almost exclusively for quite some time. Just a suggestion. It makes several things quite easy such as mass changes, tagging from filename, renaming files from tags, etc.

edit: always keep in mind that if you are changing tags, adding art, etc, you could be invalidating any fingerprint or checksum files like ffp, md5, etc. Always best to re-check any existing checksums after changing source files and generate new ones if they are no longer valid. And documenting in any info file that this has been done.
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

InnerLight wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:35 pm Always best to re-check any existing checksums after changing source files and generate new ones if they are no longer valid. And documenting in any info file that this has been done.
Excuse my ignorance but what should be checked in the checksum files in order to decide that they have to be changed.

And if they actually have to be changed then how?
Yves
InnerLight

Post by InnerLight »

yymca6 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 pm
InnerLight wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:35 pm Always best to re-check any existing checksums after changing source files and generate new ones if they are no longer valid. And documenting in any info file that this has been done.
Excuse my ignorance but what should be checked in the checksum files in order to decide that they have to be changed.

It depends on the checksum file type. An ffp probably does not change just from tagging but an MD5 certainly does. I just tested this to make sure I am not full of it.

I took a directory of a live show which had flac files tagged but no artwork in each flac. It had an ffp. I verified the ffp, no errors. I created an md5 file of the whole directory. I copied the whole directory to a test copy directory. I changed the artist of the first flac, and added the art to the second flac. The ffp still validated. The md5 fails.

It's not the end of the world but the checksums are so the downloader can be assured the files match the source. In a perfect world If you make *any* changes to the files you should re-validate the checksums. If any fail you should delete them (or move to a subdirectory, etc), generate new ones, and document your changes.

edit: you can use this tool to verify / generate checksums
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

InnerLight wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:14 pm
yymca6 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:54 pm

It depends on the checksum file type. An ffp probably does not change just from tagging but an MD5 certainly does. I just tested this to make sure I am not full of it.

I took a directory of a live show which had flac files tagged but no artwork in each flac. It had an ffp. I verified the ffp, no errors. I created an md5 file of the whole directory. I copied the whole directory to a test copy directory. I changed the artist of the first flac, and added the art to the second flac. The ffp still validated. The md5 fails.

It's not the end of the world but the checksums are so the downloader can be assured the files match the source. In a perfect world If you make *any* changes to the files you should re-validate the checksums. If any fail you should delete them (or move to a subdirectory, etc), generate new ones, and document your changes.

edit: you can use this tool to verify / generate checksums
Thanks I'll give it a try next time I tag/re-tag something.

Does it work in Mac?
Yves
InnerLight

Post by InnerLight »

That tool is Windows only so far as I know. You might have to seek out a similar tool for Mac.