Template for posting new shares

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Patrick Healy

Re: Template for posting new shares

Post by Patrick Healy »

Engonoceras wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:47 pm As far as format I don't care the format but the one thing that drives me bonkers is stuff that's wrapped in a folder in a folder in another folder and inside one or two layers of a ZIP file or some oddball uncommon compression format like SHN, GZ, 7Z. I've always just posted a direct link to a WAV file.
Respectfully I disagree. I like stuff compressed as high as can be whilst being lossless. That includes 7z (which has a better compression ratio than zip). Also not sure why you'd post a link to a WAV file: it is bigger than FLAC without having any extra benefit as far as I can tell. And on the off chance that someone does need it in WAV I think they can convert it themselves. I do agree about not using SHN however, not even VLC can open that (though I haven't tried foobar2000).

As for rip methodology: EAC using Sharkey's perfect rip guide (download link available on YouTube) --> FLAC level 8 --> TAG IT (since many media players rely on metadata and you don't want to have to manually select tracks) --> put it all in a 7z and post. That's best, I think.