Glyn Johns Get Back Sessions Multitrack Reels (Reconstructed) 4.0

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
MARVINMARTIN

Re: Glyn Johns Get Back Sessions Multitrack Reels (Reconstructed) 4.0

Post by MARVINMARTIN »

millerTEK wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:35 pm Hi -

This is my ongoing personal project to try and recreate the Glyn Johns multitrack reels recorded at Apple.

I updated the documents to view while listening to a specific reel. With all of the new reel info and pics released with the 50th box - I made some changes and/or noted the discrepancy when necessary. Still ongoing, but this is what I have so far.
I also did some audio clean up and removed beeps cleanly as well as other flaws, but remember these are using the NAGRA sources in spectral stereo.
Review my other posts if you want more info about this project -

Lots of work still to do. I make no claims of complete accuracy, but I'm working on getting as close as possible based on what info I research and receive form many sources.

here is the link (it will not expire or require keys and passwords):

hxxps://mega.nz/file/EtsHyCgK#D1QkdDTnNzDwdob1uDv9N3dQUv3iKwMRrjr-TMqHzgk

Those that have issues with Mega - get others to download from my link and make another link for you. I cannot accommodate every single person, sorry.

---------------------------------------------------------

SO my next project for 5.0 is to continuing source research and removing NAGRA beeps, etc cleanup. With the box set and Peter JAckson's documentary - I will check what multitrack sources were used as well and consider taking these sources and somehow merging them 'COMFORTABLY' with the majority spectral stereo NAGRA sources to see if I can use them. Currently I found if I attempt to merge them, the levels and other audio differences cause a DISRUPTION in listening to these reels (suddenly you get changes in loudness or heavier bass, etc). Maybe I can reduce levels and equalize those sources to use them eventually. Any advice is welcomed!
EXCELENT...MANY THANKS
rhino

Post by rhino »

Thanks very much !
sam004

Post by sam004 »

I loved the diagram of the Apple studio.
I've been trying to visualize this after seeing the film.
Great booklet.
Looking forward to hearing the tracks.
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Thank you MillerTEK for sharing this labour of love.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Hi Everybody - Hope you had a happy holidays and new year...

So I have had time to resume work on these reconstructions...and while I have been removing beeps (by editing in footage from other sources without the beeps...and using some other techniques) I have also been updating those reels with PICTURES of reel boxes with writing on them that were recently released in various books and clearly update song lineups originally assumed, but now changed with this new info. So I will release a version 4.5 in the near future for everyone to enjoy.

later!

steve
darod

Post by darod »

Thank you very much Beatles4you :)
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

Let me give you an example of ANOTHER FIND since the boxed set was released. This will be on the next reconstruction update.

Take a look at EMITAPE E90505
The first recorded track from older documentation on the reel was noted as:
DDSI 29.37 - I Want You - 1:09

When the LIB Box was released, the book shows a pic of this reel EMITAPE E90505 not previously available.
Yes, it shows Glyn wrote this track first on the list recorded ON THE BOX. HOWEVER - note what Glyn wrote below the title (I HAD A DREAM).

I wanted to find the significance of this and unfortunately 29.37 has no reference to this quote before, during, or after this recording.
Then I consulted Suply's book of the NAGRA inventory, There is another track right before 29.37 - called 29.33 that was about 5:42 containing a similar I Want You jam session. Then - in the middle of the jam, BIlly breaks out his vocals and starts singing quotes from the MLK 'I had a dream' speech. This HAD to be what Glyn recorded!

So I updated my reconstruction and doc.

NEXT on the same reel - at the very end - there is this long entry for Teddy Boy (17 minutes). Because these reels would have not been able to fit the entire recording based on the NAGRA footage - I suspected Glyn only recorded a small portion of this. Looking for breaks in the recording and listening to conversation - I found a 2 minute attempt that started with Paul talking to Glyn about getting the acoustic guitar sounding correctly. Then the recording stops form more issues Paul and John bring up and the rest of the footage is rehearsing which I doubt Glyn would have recorded. Therefore I edited the reconstruction again to shorten the total running time to hopefully comply with the length of the reel.

I don;t know the total running time of these EMItape reels or if they splice, etc, so this is completely using my subjective opinion.
Much2Much

Post by Much2Much »

Thank you for the quality of your research and production millerTEK. The effort you are putting in is admirable. We have all been waiting for your next release - for many this will be as important as any Beatles release.
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

very close - I have 4 more reels that have sync beeps and roll calls I'm trying to remove....

sometimes I can find other sources that don't have beeps and I can copy that tiny bit and paste into into the beeped area (I've gotten a lot of practice doing it smoothly and adjusting levels, etc so the 'splice' is clean when played. I noticed during some roll calls, Purple Chick A/B Road removed them by splicing similar places from other takes. Very kool.

It's just a very time consuming process to listen to each reel, write down the timestamps and then do the corrections. I can only do it on a weekend when I'm hanging out letting out steam from the work week with a bottle of my fav!

During this process I learned a lot about using equalization, stereo imaging, and other plugins - which means I might be able to start incorporating the few tracks that were released and tone them down a bit so those items aren't much louder, etc and make listening awkward between tracks. I want it to be smooth since I made these as complete reels and not single tracks. My concept is to reconstruct the footage on the reel as a non-stop experience (1 30min track).

Then the other day, I listened to a cleaned reel and heard a beep - I must have been drunk and did not write that beep's timestamp down. Now I'm worried I missed others. So far I have not found more...maybe I'll be lucky, but I hope listeners notify me if they find more....

enjoy!

steve
millerTEK

Post by millerTEK »

I check the original download I provided in the first post - it IS still good.

If you get an error - change the hxxp to http

if you get a encryption key message - it's because you copied the abbreviate link some browsers show with a ........ showing in the URL.

COpy the complete URL and it;s fine.

I have an account with MEGA and I know the link is good - and check on it.

here is the link (it will not expire or require keys and passwords):

hxxps://mega.nz/file/EtsHyCgK#D1QkdDTnNzDwdob1uDv9N3dQUv3iKwMRrjr-TMqHzgk

NOTICE the link above has hxxps and the url info is abbreviated and shows 3 dots in it ' ...' but if you hover your mouse over the link - look at the bottom of the browser and you'll see the correct URL info. You must use your browser's copy url function to ensure the entire URL is copied, so you can paste it into a new tab.

Those that have issues with Mega - get others to download from my link and make another link for you. I cannot accommodate every single person, sorry.