LET'S UNIFY CRITERIA ON "GET BACK SESSIONS"

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Davenicks

Re: LET'S UNIFY CRITERIA ON "GET BACK SESSIONS"

Post by Davenicks »

skynet wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:14 pm
Davenicks wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:59 pm "Sometimes the camera rolls themselves had audio." Could you clarify what you mean by this?

Thanks!

Dave in Nashville
my 2 cents here:

16mm film (correct me if i am wrong but "Get Back" was originally scoped to be a TV special, then the afterthought from the Beatles themselves was that this to be filmed in rather 35 millimeters for movie theaters) have its own "optical" sound-track, is my understanding (my knowledge is mostly empirical) is to record ambient sound. Although most 16mm movies were shot without sound, there is a way to tell if film has audio. If 16mm film has sprockets on both sides, it is a silent film. If it has sprockets on one side and a rust colored strip that runs along the edge of the reel, it have sound; This strip denotes the magnetic portion where the audio is stored and it will run alongside the reel. For the 16mm, the magnetic strip will be on the opposite side of the sprockets. hence it is possible that the sweeping sound is not just and "add-on" that PJ did, it is actual audio from that day, just enhanced, it is quite possible.

Regards
In order to record sound to the optical track, a sound source, such as a microphone, would have to be connected to the camera. This is almost never done in a professional film shoot for TV, cinema or commercials (probably because cinematographers don't want to divide their attention between picture and sound - they prefer to have an audio professional watching the meters for the sound. They also don't like having an additional cable attached to their camera that might inhibit their movement.). There has never been any indication that I am aware of that microphones were connected to the cameras at any time on this project. We have the nagra reels from the largely ambient microphones recorded by Peter Sutton, et. al., and the studio reels from the studio microphones recorded by Glyn Johns.

Dave in Nashville
Dial222

Post by Dial222 »

Doug wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:29 pm
DVWerks wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:32 am It's most likely that audio was created for the documentary. There are definitely moments throughout the documentary where sound effects not present on the Nagras or studio tapes are heard.
I noticed that. I think it's a trick to help disguise the fact that so much of what we're seeing isn't synched at all. Adding sound onto images of George striking a match, or Ringo blowing out cigarette smoke helps fool the viewer into thinking the surrounding shots are also in sync.
Striking match comes from 145 seconds into 2nd Jan Dig A Pony on AB Road, just noticed that today
Doug

Post by Doug »

The match strike I was thinking of is in the dialogue following DDSI 2.21, as John says "I think we should rehearse in a room, or in a corner or something." The sound isn't on the Nagra, but is heard in the PJ documentary. Needless to say, there are probably a lot of instances of them lighting up during the sessions. It's a little sad to see George smoking so much, when you realize that cancer would eventually kill him (and he doesn't look healthy even in the GB sessions).
Eric_Manchester

Post by Eric_Manchester »

Adding foley to picture is pretty common, even in documentaries. I see it all the time when silent film is used to establish a time period, and automobile, city sounds, or airplane noises are added to the footage. I expected GET BACK to have plenty of it, based on what Jackson did in THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD. The temptation to sweeten the sound is great. And as noted above, it can help tie together disparate takes for a more pleasing or convincing program flow.
Dial222

Post by Dial222 »

Doug wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:11 am The match strike I was thinking of is in the dialogue following DDSI 2.21, as John says "I think we should rehearse in a room, or in a corner or something." The sound isn't on the Nagra, but is heard in the PJ documentary. Needless to say, there are probably a lot of instances of them lighting up during the sessions. It's a little sad to see George smoking so much, when you realize that cancer would eventually kill him (and he doesn't look healthy even in the GB sessions).
Just checked this Doug, it's on DBD1, Roll 1A @ 8:19.5 just after George greets the Krishna devotees. I've never noticed that one before, i may have to hunt out some more, i'll keep an eye on the camera pulses too.

Thanks for the DDSI 2007 too, I'd forgotten I had it and nearly bought it again after getting lost in the 1998 Helter Skelter print of Get Back
Muzair

Post by Muzair »

jpgrcat wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:53 pm If anyone listened to the nearly 4 hour Interview with Peter Jackson
He thinks about 40 Nagra Rolls are missing & not bootlegged,
he say's that's about 10 Hours...
He found out Apple had some Safety Copies, for 3 hours, so 7 hours are still Missing
I missed the interview, where is that located? Is it a podcast?
jpgrcat

Post by jpgrcat »

This is the Interview you all should check out
Huge Beatles Fan & collector Anything Beatles/Solo related,

which includes NEMS, Apple, Dark Horse, Ring'O, & MPL Labels

Beach Boys/Related, & The Byrds/CSNY/Related..& many other acts
Muzair

Post by Muzair »

jpgrcat wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:25 am

This is the Interview you all should check out
Oh man, looking forward to diving into this! Thanks for the link
Darth Kybiel

Post by Darth Kybiel »

enriquelu wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:05 pm Ok. If the majority think New Blue Soap is preferable to Sulpy 2001, we will follow that criteria.

Just point out that New Blue Soap is not exactly the same as Sulpy 2007. It is true that some errors have been corrected.

I understand that we can use the NEW BLUE SOAP nomenclature, but some problems need to be fixed.

Let us ignore the differences that exist in the tunings, dialogues, silences, etc ..., because they are not very relevant for the numbering.

Problems to solve:

Day 6 - 2.60 should be 6.60
Day 21 - Foul 21.54
I understand that on day 21 - 074 - 21.65P it must be DDSI.21.54 P
I understand that on day 21 - 075 - 21.51P it must be DDSI.21.49 P
I understand that on day 21 - 078 - 21.51P it must be DDSI.21.49 P
Day 22 - DDSI.22.58 and DDSI.22.59 are missing
Day 25 - We should study where the 25.38P leaves

I don't have studied New Blue Soap STUDIO because I understand it's no relevant for numbering.

Here there is a cross reference to Help us
NBS 1.png
NBS 2.png
NBS 3.png
NBS 4.png
NBS 5.png
....and just wait til I get my set finished next year with better sound of the complete /silent fragments/ people thought were irrelevant and other material missing yet. Takes a long time to sneak and use recording studios and utilize as close to sources as possible.
I Am The Walrus

Post by I Am The Walrus »

Hello,
I don't want to disturb the progress of the topic.
I'm not an expert and I have many doubts about this subject.
I would like to know the correct DDSI numbers for compilations 3 and 4 made by Glyn Johns?
Could someone help me please?
Thanks in advance.

28th May 1969 Mix
01 - One After 909
02 - Rock 'n' Roll, Chat
03 - Don't Let Me Down
04 - Dig A Pony
05 - I've Got A Feeling
06 - Get Back
07 - For You Blue
08 - Teddy Boy
09 - Two Of Us