O.P.D. - What'd would or wouldn't you do to restore Get Back acetate 1?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
paul62

Re: O.P.D. - What'd would or wouldn't you do to restore Get Back acetate 1?

Post by paul62 »

Doug wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:54 pm See

https://www.beatleg.online/get-back-lemon
Good one, Doug!

The one I've got has a similar tint in the paper stock used, but the picture is degraded in mine, it seems: the Lemon logo is missing and the attribution of the commentary beneath the picture to John is missing (probably trimmed off with a pair of scissors by the person/s who copied the Lemon version!!).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

paul62 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:31 pm
yymca6 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:34 am Kinda weird set that looks like a merge of compilations 1 and 2 (The Walk is on 1 but not the three other compilation) while One After 909 starts Compilation 2 to 4.
Both the cover art and the album could be good ones to recreate, using the best possible sources, Yves!!
powerPC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:58 am Cool memories Paul!! 8-)
They are, indeed, Keith!! I had a few things signed by Billy, including a vintage U.S. Apple LP of "That's The Way God Planned It".
Here's what I came up with, starting with Compilation #2 and filling the only gap with Compilation#1 (The Walk).

One After 909 30.08/30.09 (Danny Boy)/30.17 (I would like…)
The Walk 27.83 (from #1)
Don't Let Me Down 22.78/22.60
Dig A Pony 22.68
I've Got A Feeling 22.69
Get Back 27.63
For You Blue 25.46
Teddy Boy 24.33 (short edit)
Two Of Us 24.69 - Maggie May 24.49
Dig It 26.56 from Oldies acetate (+Georgie Wood 24.85)
Let It Be 31.64 (+April'69 guitar overdub)
The Long And Winding Road 26.92
Across The Universe (World Wildlife Fund Version)

Incidentally lots of what appears on Compilation 2 are the same as Compilation 1.

Now we just have to find the best versions. Dr.Ebbets would be a good start as he has a version of Compilation #2. We could also check with good version of John Barrett's stuff. I guess our mutual friend with better hearing than us could help us in doing this.

My only problem with the Ebbett's version I have, the DDSI numbers don't jive with Maul's and other people's.

I might put up one version tomorrow and see how it sounds. I'll post it somewhere...
Yves
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

yymca6 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:04 pm Incidentally lots of what appears on Compilation 2 are the same as Compilation 1.

Now we just have to find the best versions. Dr.Ebbets would be a good start as he has a version of Compilation #2. We could also check with good version of John Barrett's stuff. I guess our mutual friend with better hearing than us could help us in doing this.

My only problem with the Ebbett's version I have, the DDSI numbers don't jive with Maul's and other people's.

I might put up one version tomorrow and see how it sounds. I'll post it somewhere...
Yves, you probably already have this (it was shared here sometime back); it contains all 4 of Glyn Johns' compilations... I haven't done a full listen so I don't know for sure how good the sources are. But it might be of some use to you in this restoration project 8-)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/aoxEiKpJ#-xU1IVgBa ... lgXXs8XGwI
—Keith
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

powerPC wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:31 pm
yymca6 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:04 pm Incidentally lots of what appears on Compilation 2 are the same as Compilation 1.

Yves, you probably already have this (it was shared here sometime back); it contains all 4 of Glyn Johns' compilations... I haven't done a full listen so I don't know for sure how good the sources are. But it might be of some use to you in this restoration project 8-)

hxxps://mega.nz/file/aoxEiKpJ#-xU1IVgBaweydxWIR5hZlpusQ-dZKVzvBlgXXs8XGwI
Yes I do have it.

But I have so many copies of the compilations. I will start by comparing my Ebbetts copy with others, first by length. Then I'll compare a few to make spotchecks and see if I can use it as a source.

Of course anyone who thinks he knows what is the best quality copy of Mix #2 should jump in and let me know.
Yves
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Moptop wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 pm O.P.D is reported as being a single track of a stereo image. Does this raise issues about the validity of the Stereo versions?
@RMW- Is your version a recreation or an RMW version of a vinyl rip?
I have two vinyl rips of different albums purporting to be O.P.D. One is 15-tracks that has the left side on both channels (John's vocals are totally missing on "One After 909"). The second is 18 tracks and also has the left on both sides, but this one is so out of phase that it looks like stereo on the meters. There was no way to correct it, the phase was so borked. "One After 909" has a 2-second gap in the audio at 37 seconds in the right. These were both sent to me early in the last decade when I was a member at another board. So I didn't see them and can't verify which pressing is which. But we were attempting to get something better than we had, and I can't think of why the people who sent me theirs would misrepresent them.

By the way, O.P.D. is what it looks like on the badge because of the angle of the photo. What it really says is O.P.P, which stands for "Ontario Provincial Police." Here is a picture of the crest on Paul's uniform.
Badge_-_Ontario_Provincial_Police.jpg
Badge_-_Ontario_Provincial_Police.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

paul62 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:47 pm
Good one, Doug!

The one I've got has a similar tint in the paper stock used, but the picture is degraded in mine, it seems: the Lemon logo is missing and the attribution of the commentary beneath the picture to John is missing (probably trimmed off with a pair of scissors by the person/s who copied the Lemon version!!).
@Paul62

You probably have one of the variations of this release Get Back - 12 Track Compilation

rather than a Lemon reissue/ remake.

Whichever pressing, it is pretty cool and I'm sure many here would like it in their collection.
Moptop

Post by Moptop »

mojofilter wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:15 pm
Moptop wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 pm O.P.D is reported as being a single track of a stereo image. Does this raise issues about the validity of the Stereo versions?
@RMW- Is your version a recreation or an RMW version of a vinyl rip?
I have two vinyl rips of different albums purporting to be O.P.D. One is 15-tracks that has the left side on both channels (John's vocals are totally missing on "One After 909"). The second is 18 tracks and also has the left on both sides, but this one is so out of phase that it looks like stereo on the meters. There was no way to correct it, the phase was so borked. "One After 909" has a 2-second gap in the audio at 37 seconds in the right. These were both sent to me early in the last decade when I was a member at another board. So I didn't see them and can't verify which pressing is which. But we were attempting to get something better than we had, and I can't think of why the people who sent me theirs would misrepresent them.

By the way, O.P.D. is what it looks like on the badge because of the angle of the photo. What it really says is O.P.P, which stands for "Ontario Provincial Police." Here is a picture of the crest on Paul's uniform.

Badge_-_Ontario_Provincial_Police.jpg
Brilliant, Thank you for the information, I can vaguely remember when and where you first posted. So what we think is stereo is basically an out-of-phase track on the right channel, representing the vinyl release but not the best representation of the material.

So being a pain, another open question , does The SIlver Album also have this issue on some or all of its tracks?
zaval80

Post by zaval80 »

The vinyl rips of OPD / Kum Back have been posted at BZ, I think closer to the end of last year. Will try to find them among my downloads, though it's not that easy to do for me at the moment.
mojofilter

Post by mojofilter »

Moptop wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:31 am Brilliant, Thank you for the information, I can vaguely remember when and where you first posted. So what we think is stereo is basically an out-of-phase track on the right channel, representing the vinyl release but not the best representation of the material.
If the version you (any of you) have on an LP has all Paul and no John on "One After 909" then you have either an original or a copy of O.P.D. The second LP I described that is one channel of audio but sounds and looks like stereo got that way because the tape of the material was:

a) copied from one or more records onto one tape, with whatever degree of azimuth misalignment was going on with *that* album's tape
b) then that tape was copied onto a different tape deck that had another degree of azimuth alignment
c) it may (or may not) have also been copied to another tape with different decks and azimuth
d) the last tape in the chain was played on yet another tape deck with yet different azimuth than all the others, to feed the cutting head and make the LP.

This is why it appears on the meters and in the speakers to be stereo. Both tracks are out of phase from multiple generations of dubbing, so much so that phase correction software can't correct it to any satisfactory degree. You can't use one side or the other because they both sound so different, and you can't combine channels, because that sounds even worse! I'd have to go with the other LP version (15 tracks), which is the on the tinny side, but that's how they made it. No quality control or engineering went on at any stage.

You only have a stereo "Get Back" album if you have Paul on one side and John on the other one during "One After 909."
Eye. Eyesore a girl in my dreams.
paul62

Post by paul62 »

Moptop wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:23 am
@Paul62

You probably have one of the variations of this release Get Back - 12 Track Compilation

rather than a Lemon reissue/ remake.

Whichever pressing, it is pretty cool and I'm sure many here would like it in their collection.

Good one, Chris!

I've checked again: the LP has blank labels and the matrices are etched (they're either BGB III A - R1 and BGB III B - R1, or BGB 111 A - R1 and BGB 111 A - R1).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!