O.P.D. - What'd would or wouldn't you do to restore Get Back acetate 1?

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Track06

O.P.D. - What'd would or wouldn't you do to restore Get Back acetate 1?

Post by Track06 »

some suggestions:
speed correction (using what as reference?)
EQing (using what as reference?)
patching spots with tape issues (WKBW broadcast recording, acetate 3?)
click removal
hiss removal
center channel extraction
creating a right channel
yymca6

Re: O.P.D. - What'd would or wouldn't you do to restore Get Back acetate 1?

Post by yymca6 »

Surely hiss and click removal.

Maybe comparing EQ with a good version of "Untouched (Rev.A)" (BTW someone who posts here has de-clicked and de-noised it).

And I leave other options to experts (Maul for instance).
Yves
Kwai Chang

Post by Kwai Chang »

Speed correction is a must...when getting back.
maul

Post by maul »

yymca6 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 pm Surely hiss and click removal.
Maybe comparing EQ with a good version of "Untouched (Rev.A)" (BTW someone who posts here has de-clicked and de-noised it).
I'm not an expert, expecially in restoring :lol:

however OPD (compilation 2), IMO is not 'restorable', -apart from the abysmal quality- it features only the Left Channel (the Right Channel is missing),
and unfortunately we cannot eventually recover the right channel from Comp 1 or 3,
since for compilation 2 (OPD), Glyn Johns did unique remixes for Get Back and Two Of Us :(
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

maul wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:11 pm
yymca6 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:27 pm Surely hiss and click removal.
I'm not an expert, expecially in restoring :lol:

however OPD (compilation 2), IMO is not 'restorable', -apart from the abysmal quality- it features only the Left Channel (the Right Channel is missing),
and unfortunately we cannot eventually recover the right channel from Comp 1 or 3,
since for compilation 2 (OPD), Glyn Johns did unique remixes for Get Back and Two Of Us :(
I checked my copies of O.P.D. (both FLAC files).

First copy seems to be stereo. I checked the first track (One After 909) with Audacity and L & R channels are not the same.

Second copy is actually a twin set. Once again I checked Track 1 with Audacity.

Disc 1: both channels are identical

Disc 2: waves look the same as my first copy (single disc copy).

While we have so many copies of Compilation #2, one of them being incidentally "RMW 648 The Beatles - O.P.D (at A=440)".
Yves
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

yymca6 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:26 pm I checked my copies of O.P.D. (both FLAC files).

First copy seems to be stereo. I checked the first track (One After 909) with Audacity and L & R channels are not the same.

While we have so many copies of Compilation #2, one of them being incidentally "RMW 648 The Beatles - O.P.D (at A=440)".
According to https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... comp2.html ,

"The Apple master tape is surely stereo and it can be assumed that the acetate is, too. But the tape copy used for the broadcast features only one side of the stereo image. Evidence of this is provided by the recording itself. Besides Get Back, the recording also features an "exclusive" airing of "Across The Universe" from The World Wildlife Fund December 1969 release, No One's Gonna Change Our World. This song is not part of the actual Get Back broadcast. It appears as though WKBW broadcast the song sometime in December 1969 and the taper recorded it over a portion of the Get Back broadcast. WKBW was on 1520 AM and, thus, broadcast in mono. The broadcast of "Across The Universe" features the full audio. In other words, it's the full stereo image broadcast in mono. This demonstrates that WKBW's actual source tape for the Get Back broadcast featured only one channel of stereo.... It appears that The Silver Album Of The World's Greatest utilized the same source recording as O.P.D. but it was a higher tape-generation copy. Since they feature none of the DJ dialog heard in the broadcast, the bootlegs can surely be sourced directly back to the acetate. As with WKBW's tape, both bootlegs feature only one channel of stereo. The reason for this is unclear. Perhaps the person who taped the acetate didn't realize it or it was done intentionally to preserve the unique integrity of the original acetate."
—Keith
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

powerPC wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 pm
yymca6 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:26 pm I checked my copies of O.P.D. (both FLAC files).

According to https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... comp2.html ,

"The Apple master tape is surely stereo and it can be assumed that the acetate is, too. But the tape copy used for the broadcast features only one side of the stereo image. Evidence of this is provided by the recording itself. Besides Get Back, the recording also features an "exclusive" airing of "Across The Universe" from The World Wildlife Fund December 1969 release, No One's Gonna Change Our World. This song is not part of the actual Get Back broadcast. It appears as though WKBW broadcast the song sometime in December 1969 and the taper recorded it over a portion of the Get Back broadcast. WKBW was on 1520 AM and, thus, broadcast in mono. The broadcast of "Across The Universe" features the full audio. In other words, it's the full stereo image broadcast in mono. This demonstrates that WKBW's actual source tape for the Get Back broadcast featured only one channel of stereo.... It appears that The Silver Album Of The World's Greatest utilized the same source recording as O.P.D. but it was a higher tape-generation copy. Since they feature none of the DJ dialog heard in the broadcast, the bootlegs can surely be sourced directly back to the acetate. As with WKBW's tape, both bootlegs feature only one channel of stereo. The reason for this is unclear. Perhaps the person who taped the acetate didn't realize it or it was done intentionally to preserve the unique integrity of the original acetate."
I never put my hands on an original O.P.D. (which BTW means Ontario Police Department) but I had an original copy of Get Back To Toronto, that might still be in my Beatles record box at my daughter's place....

So the copies of O.P.D. I have are FLAC files I downloaded and my guess is that on the disc where both channels are identical might be a rip of an original O.P.D. LP that was later adjusted electronically to have 2 channels.

Does anyone around here have an original O.P.D. LP that could be ripped? Maybe.

One question I have though for the OP (no D...). Acetate 1 was IMHO "Kum Back" and its subsequent copies (from which Get Back To Toronto comes BTW following John's gig in Toronto, thus the name of the album). So O.P.D. should be Acetate 2 (from Compilation 2), right?
Yves
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Yves, I may be wrong but I think Remasters Workshop's O.P.D. (RMW 648) is from an original LP rip... let me know if you need a copy of that.

I think you are right, "Kum Back" = compilation 1 (reference acetate) and "O.P.D." = compilation 2

My information is what I gathered from the GREATEST resource for GB info I've found... https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... intro.html
—Keith
paul62

Post by paul62 »

I've got this one, a version that uses one channel only. "Across The Universe" isn't on the LP, though it's listed on the cover art...!!!

(I had my copy signed by Billy Preston after seeing him perform (exactly one year after John was killed)).

"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
yymca6

Post by yymca6 »

powerPC wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:48 pm Yves, I may be wrong but I think Remasters Workshop's O.P.D. (RMW 648) is from an original LP rip... let me know if you need a copy of that.

I think you are right, "Kum Back" = compilation 1 (reference acetate) and "O.P.D." = compilation 2

My information is what I gathered from the GREATEST resource for GB info I've found... https://www.beatlesource.com/bs/mains/a ... intro.html
Thanks Keith but I have the RMW one.
Yves