*PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips 2021 (THE WHOLE BLOODY SET! + BONUS)

Bootleg audio discussion for anything John, Paul, George and Ringo
Vee-Jay

*PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips 2021 (THE WHOLE BLOODY SET! + BONUS)

Post by Vee-Jay »

Hey, Gang -

Well, since the great and generous Lord Reith has successfully completed his BBC set :o , I figured it was time to create a reason to look forward to Fridays, with the re-release of my complete - and newly revised - set of PRISTINE 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips. :D

Each Friday for the next 20 weeks ( :shock: !), I'll upload a newly "revisited" version of these classic US LPs, drawn from my original BZ rips. I have painstakingly gone through each rip again with a fine-toothed comb and attempted to create an LP listening experience that resembles as closely as possible what you would have heard from your home turntable back in the 1980's, just without all of the clicks and pops and whatnot. That said, please delete any previous versions of these rips that you might already have.

Please note that I have not used ClickRepair or any other software to clean these up. As before, I did it all by hand, but with far more attention to detail this time around. Also new: I have included both a 16-bit CD Quality version AND a 24-bit Hi-Res version of each rip. Artwork was provided primarily by our friends guthera and powerPC, among others.

As I said the last time around (special thanks to Beezer for finding the original BZ thread, which I'll provide in full later):
Back in the '80s, disappointed by the quality of the sound I was getting out of my beat-up '60s and '70s pressings of the US Beatles LPs, I decided to augment my meager collection with a complete, BRAND NEW set of their albums. Slowly, but surely (after all, money didn't grow on trees like it does now! :wink: ), I bought them (or was occasionally gifted a few) one at a time. After many months of alternately buying and saving, I managed to "collect them all" (not to make them sound like cheap toys in a cereal box :lol: ).

Here's the kicker though - and an unexpected bit of prescience on my part back then - I had become a firm believer in a little motto I'd championed when it came to my record collection:

"You can tape a record, but you can't record (read: REH-kerd) a tape." In other words, rather than buying factory-made Beatles cassette tapes, I'd buy the LPs and play them ONCE, recording them onto blank cassettes for all my future listening. In this way, I'd have both an LP record AND a cassette. Plus, if the cassette ever gave me any trouble, I could go back to my "source" LP and make another one... but that was never necessary.

So, there these gorgeous, new LPs sat in my collection for the last 35 or so years.

Until now.

Over the next few weeks, I'll be unearthing these basically MINT LPs and creating LP rips to share with everyone here on this thread. Even if you already have these US LPs in your collection, I hope you'll enjoy these beautiful 1980s pressings, played for the first time in over three decades!

So, to kick things off, here is my '80s Capitol "Retro Rainbow" pressing of Meet The Beatles! in 16 bit FLAC for your listening pleasure. As before, I have opted to include the actual stylus "drops" and "lifts". Beyond that, I've done nothing to these recordings other than remove major abnormalities by hand and normalize them to -3dB.
So, without further ado, here's the first in the collection... Meet The Beatles!

hxxps://we.tl/t-oSm0GNZvIH
Attachments
Jacket - Front.jpg
Jacket - Front.jpg (42.64 KiB) Viewed 6994 times
Last edited by Vee-Jay on Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:28 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Mrbeatleg

Re: *PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips - updated 2021 collection

Post by Mrbeatleg »

thanka again, do we call this version II ?
beatlesfanfromsop

Post by beatlesfanfromsop »

vee-jay
Awesome!!
Thanks for posting *PRISTINE* 1980's-era US Beatles LP rips - updated 2021 collection.
I just heard This Boy 24 bit hire version,and I think it sounds great.
Mike
powerPC

Post by powerPC »

Thank you Vee-Jay for your tireless efforts! Many "Capitol" fans here are appreciative 8-)
—Keith
aslak

Post by aslak »

As a non-American, I have only recently started to 'get' the American (Capitol) releases and realise there's a whole new world out there.
Thank you for sharing your rips. Much appreciated.
A
20YearsAgo

Post by 20YearsAgo »

Thank you, Vee-Jay. It's my birthday today, and I've been in a funk all day because of it. Just played your rip though-- it was exactly what I needed to feel better. Thank you!
BeatlesVI

Post by BeatlesVI »

I can't imagine a "new and improved" version as your original ups always sounded great, but I'm looking forward to hearing your upgrades!
...the member formerly known as "sirguitarist"
DonHo

Post by DonHo »

Shouldn't the Hi-Res FLAC be 24-bit & 96kHz ?
paul62

Post by paul62 »

DonHo wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:18 am Shouldn't the Hi-Res FLAC be 24-bit & 96kHz ?
Vee-Jay mentioned the original thread from "the 'zone": I remember that he and I discussed the hi-rez issue in the thread (anything above Redbook standard is considered hi-rez, so 24 bit 44.1kHz qualifies, though many people would disagree!!).
"Dedicated Downloader Of Beatlegs"...!!! (Raymond Douglas Davies, Paul Sixtytwo)

And when he does
His little rounds
'Round the forums
We have around
Eagerly pursuing
All the latest vids and discs
'Cause he's a dedicated downloader of Beatlegs!
micktanner

Post by micktanner »

Good to see you Vee-Jay, welcome back! Looking very much forward to the updated collection :D